• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 4x4 3.0 to 5.0

182Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I have a few questions about swapping a 5.0 into a 1999 Ranger 4x4 with a 3.0. I found the page in the tech library, it was quite helpful. Alothough I noticed a few things that didn't seem to add up. First, it said that a 8.8 Ford rear axle is best to use with a 5.0, but it doesn't mention anything about changing the front axle. In a 4x4, this is a major issue as we all know. If I changed the rear axle, the front axle would have to be changed. Another part that I was confused with is the article said you can use your original drive shafts with the automatic transmission along with the transfer case from the Explorer. I want to know if the Explorer had a manual transmission and possible use the transfer case from the Ranger. (I want to keep the 1354 Electric shift with auto hubs). I ask this because I do not want an automatic transmission. So, does anyone know if the manual transmission from the Explorer (or the manual from the Ranger) would work? And if I did that, what driveshafts would I need? Thanks!

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You do not actually need to change the front or rear end, as long as you are not planning on running huge ass tires.

You will have to wait and see where the engine and tranny is positioned to know for sure if the drive shaft will need altered.

Not sure about the explorer having a manual tranny. I do know the ranger tranny will not be a wise choice behind a v8.

182Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I do not plan on running larger tires, I'll keep the 235's. I was told the Explorer did have a manual transmission. I do agree with not using the Ranger transmission with a 5.0, it makes sense. Do you know of any websites or another source of information as far as the driveshaft lengths and the Ranger transfer case adapting to the 5.0 transmission? Thanks!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
The 5.0 Explorer did not come with a manual trans. (V6 models did, of course)
The Explorer 5.0 was available in 2wd with the 4R70W automatic trans, or AWD with the 4R70W and a full time, single gear transfer case.

Best option for a manual trans/4x4, in my opinion, would be something from an F150.
I'm sure you could mate a divorced transfer case to a stand T5 trans, but that's beyond my knowledge.

I used my stock driveshaft, by leaving it in the truck, and using it to place the motor when I dropped the engine/trans combo in there.

If the Explorer automatic/AWD setup interests you, I have the trans and transfer case from a '96 Ex 5.0 that I would sell cheaply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals