• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger 4x4 v8 swap

auto67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. Ive been workin on my v8 ranger for about a month and a half now. Pulled a c5 out disassembled it. Then I got a two wheel drive c4 out of an f150 and pulled the tail shaft and housing out of the c5 and installed in the c4. Rebuilt the c4 and added a reprograming kit. Got that all mounted and in the truck. I got a 302 out of an 87 mustang. Rebuilt that with a comp cam and valvetrain set. I just got the engine in the truck saturday on a set of convertible motor mounts. Had to do some drilling but got it to fit real nice. I had to cut my heater box quite a bit and refiberglasses it back in and heat wraped it. I cut out my lower radiator support and moved my radiator foward. Ill try to post some picks and if you guys can give me some feedback on what looks good and what I'm doin wrong that would be awesome thanks.

auto67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Allright I tried to add some pics but I guess I don't know how. Any help would be great . I got them on my profile at least.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC you need a few more posts before you can put them in the thread. Like what you've got so far, but I've always been partial to first gens.

RANGERROD

November 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just something to think about. I just converted a c5 to a c4. New bell housing valve body torque converter. When I got it all done I had a shift flare between 2-3. Had to drop the tranny and install a bigger servo to solve it.

I also cut my core support and moved my radiator in front of my core support.

auto67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I didnt really want to use the c5 because of the smaller servos and I heard they have fewer clutches in the packs. Not to sure though cause I didnt pull the clutch packs apart in the c5. My radiator isnt in front of the core support. Its kinda under it id like to see some picks of it in front of the support cause I'm kinda worried mine might be to low. The radiator cap is above the manifold but my fan isnt really in the center of the radiator. I got my headers mounted today. They are just fox body headers I had to move the # 5 cylinder tube in a little but got them to fit nice.

Last edited:

auto67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got my truck all done this weekend. Sounds awesome with the comp thumpr cam. Still need the right waterpump for my v belt set up though. Couldnt run it for to long but i did take it around the block with the wife and boy. What an awesome feeling to be done with it..........

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals