• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Ranger 5spd NoCrank-Remote Starts Only

MotorBoater

Great Great Grandson of Harry Herbert Bennett
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any help or support you can give.

98 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5l 5speed

I've added some features to this truck since i've had it, including installing A/C (not yet wired up b/c truck won't start so what's the point), back up camera, double din stereo, upgraded ALL exterior lights to LED, went from stinky old fabric seats to nice leather ones, rear leaf springs so it doesn't squat anymore.

Ive had to install a new clutch, new starter (broke doing clutch job) and that was about it until...

I was driving one day and the truck started misfiring one day while i was idling parked. I got it to get going again but it broke down a mile away from where i was. i was stranded for HOURS trying to figure it out, couldn't. somehow it fired up, dunno why. it drove for awhile after that until it didn't. I've done the Power Distribution box 2 times already and wired it back into the harness, the reason I had to do this is because there was a couple broke lock tabs so when i was checking the fuses and putting them back into the box they would push the wire down and fuse wasn't making good contact. the first time was kind of practice but the second time I got better results. Still no crank no start, but all lights, windshield wipers, stereo, horn...all the other stuff works. Battery says 12.24v and its a new Optima Red Top.

I have Chilton and Hanes manual but when it comes to these wires Im so lost in a needle in a haystack. I need help :(

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check the simple stuff first.

Hows the battery cables look?

Are you sure the new starter didnt take a shit?

Honestly if it were me, since you have a 5 speed, i would try to pop start it and then you might have an idea if its just in the starting system or something deeper.

MotorBoater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
@rusty ol ranger all the battery cables are good condition, I just learned I could possibly pop start it earlier tonight, i'll try tomorrow. New starter cranks when I Arc it

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
@rusty ol ranger all the battery cables are good condition, I just learned I could possibly pop start it earlier tonight, i'll try tomorrow. New starter cranks when I Arc it
Yeah try to pop start it and see what happens.

Let us know

MotorBoater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I've continued to do some research online, i'm thinking the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor or maybe the ECU? What do you guys think....when the truck first started to have this problem I was parked for awhile with the engine running. So maybe the heat from the motor just really took a toll on it.. I'm just racking my thoughts on this one.... I'm about to offer a prize for whoever helps me diagnose this thing lol $$$$

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Check the clutch safety switch or bypass it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So I've continued to do some research online, i'm thinking the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor or maybe the ECU? What do you guys think....when the truck first started to have this problem I was parked for awhile with the engine running. So maybe the heat from the motor just really took a toll on it.. I'm just racking my thoughts on this one.... I'm about to offer a prize for whoever helps me diagnose this thing lol $$$$
The crank sensor wouldnt keep it from cranking.

Not sure about the ECM on a 98. If it dont have PATS i wouldnt think the ECM would stop it from cranking

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Is this really a problem that it would crank?

I read it as it will crank but won't start...

MotorBoater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The crank sensor wouldnt keep it from cranking.

Not sure about the ECM on a 98. If it dont have PATS i wouldnt think the ECM would stop it from cranking
yeah it doesn't have anti theft or anything like that, but I have (so I thought) lightly washed the engine bay when I go to the car wash...thought possibly I could have gotten it wet if there was a bad seal or something.
Is this really a problem that it would crank?

I read it as it will crank but won't start...
Engine is NOT turning over, therefore not starting. Everything beeps as normal when I turn the key, including the *click from the relay

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
98 should have the starter solenoid on top of the starter correct? You also said it will crank if you arc the starter solenoid correct? If that is the case you need to check voltage at the small signal wire at the starter solenoid with key on.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Clutch in and key in start position.

MotorBoater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
To make this a little bit easier for everyone to see what's happening, I'm going to try to post an introductory walkaround video on youtube and post it here. Just so everyone can be on the same page as me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I see now the no crank in the title...

I see in the body of the message that it was running bad and while driving it quit you got stranded. But it started...

If it truly won't crank... meaning when you turn the key it won't crank the engine... that is most likely not related to the engine running poorly and quitting while driving.

You need to diagnose the crank issue first... then the drivability issue.

MotorBoater

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I see now the no crank in the title...

I see in the body of the message that it was running bad and while driving it quit you got stranded. But it started...

If it truly won't crank... meaning when you turn the key it won't crank the engine... that is most likely not related to the engine running poorly and quitting while driving.

You need to diagnose the crank issue first... then the drivability issue.
That's why I was kind of thinking Crankshaft Position Sensor and possibly the ECU.

I'm headed to the auto parts store to grab a code reader and see what that will tell me

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
around those years Ford started using a system called PATS, don't remember what the acronym means but it's just a chip in the key, if your key looks like the one in THIS link then you do have anti theft, if the plastic part is smaller and the ring slot is centered then you don't have PATS, not all 4 cylinder Rangers apparently got PATS, and I wish my Explorers didn't have it...

I would definitely start with the no crank situation, the start signal goes from the key switch to the body module to the starter solenoid so either there is a problem with key power getting to the module (I believe it's a separate circuit from the power to the multifunction switch from the key) from the key or it's power or ground... unfortunately I only know enough about that system to know it's there and does some stuff not how to troubleshoot it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals