• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Aerodynamics

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone done things to make their Ranger more aerodynamic? I have thought about this from time to time as a way to increase gas mileage, since the Ranger is about a aerodynamic as a brick. I read once in a magazine about this subject as a way to increase top-end,like for the salt flats. It seems there would be a few things that could be done easily and cheaply. Something I remember mentioned about "flat" nosed vehicles was putting heavy screen across the grill,I have considered making a flat piece out of plexiglass to cover the grill and cutting holes for cooling. One thing I have been wondering about is hood vents,it seems they would really help. It would relieve the pressure under the hood and let the air exit over the top rather than under the truck and would increase cooling. If open holes were cut and screen installed a "pan" could be made under the hole to catch rain and snow and a small rubber hose could drain the water away from the engine. I have also read that an easy way to tell if you have helped aerodynamics is to coast a set distance from a set speed and time it,then do it again in the other direction.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Lowering a vehicle will help, but you have a 4X4 so that's out. An air dam and tonneau cover might help slightly.

I can't see putting a screen over your grill to be noticably effective.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's a pickup - there's only so much you can do.

Lowering it would help. You could also make an "air dam" to fit around the bottom of your valance to effectively lower the front bumper. My dads Silverado has something like this. It hangs about 3 or 4" from the ground around the front bumper. It helps reduce the air drag from underneath the truck by pushing the air to the sides.

There's nothing you can do about the angle of the A-pillars/windshield, though, and a lot of drag comes at that spot where the hood meets windshield - and anywhere else where air is forced to make a drastic change in direction.

EDIT: I see Gotta_gofast said some of the same things as I was typing my reply.....

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
someone once mated a ranger and a mustang, it was certainly more aerodynamic but it is a sad little abortion of a vehicle and makes me throw up a lil everytime I see it.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Theres a kit on ebay, its a buncha little tabs that glue to theroof and underside of your vehicle I seen on a mustang site of mine. They smooth out the airflow around the corners absically. and will increase maybe 1-2 mpg. Also diesel power taped cardboard over the wheels and grill and everyopening except the bottom opening (under the radiator) It was a one-ton non dually. and It got 31 mpg. (no air and windows up too, in I think california or arizona. If you put plexi glass over the grill do it without holes first and watch your temps then drill as few holes as possible until your temps begin to level out. a bed cover will help as well, prolly not much though. On me expedition I used to pull my mirrors in if I was on a long haul.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
go buy a super-bird, chop the front off, super glue/duct tape it to the front of your truck. that's about all you can do.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This was posted on here a couple of years ago but I saved it. Real world test in a wind tunnel.
What I have really been looking for is just how much HP does it take to move thru the air at different speeds. I know the frontal area has a lot to do with it but just a general reference would be good. If you are doing 70 mph at 2500 rpm and only putting out 75 hp and it takes you 70 hp just to move thru the wind, really need to re-gear. That's where I was headed.
Dave
http://www.coreymeltonmotorsports.com/Wind_Tunnel_Testing.html

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check out ecomodder.com there's a LOT of good aerodynamics info on there. One guy on there came up with an angled bed cap that let him get somewhere in the ballpark of 22mpg out of his superduty if remember correctly.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you just spray the whole truck with pam at that rate.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Isn't "Ranger Aerodymaics" an oxymoron? The only way to make a Ranger aerodynamic is sell it and get a Mustang!

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do like the Mythbusters did and make it golfball textured. :icon_twisted:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
This was posted on here a couple of years ago but I saved it. Real world test in a wind tunnel.
What I have really been looking for is just how much HP does it take to move thru the air at different speeds. I know the frontal area has a lot to do with it but just a general reference would be good. If you are doing 70 mph at 2500 rpm and only putting out 75 hp and it takes you 70 hp just to move thru the wind, really need to re-gear. That's where I was headed.
Dave
http://www.coreymeltonmotorsports.com/Wind_Tunnel_Testing.html
Thats pretty neat. But according to that it looks like a cover and an air dam will help alot even over just leaving the tailgate up. but increases the drag force fast as the speed climbs.

If you really want better MPG's I would suggest switching to a newer ranger such as an 98-00 as they seem the most aerodynamicly shaped in front. Because I can't see how blocking off your radiator is going to help anything. I mean it will act less like an air scoop yes but the amount of holes you will have to drill to keep in cool would kind of defeat the purpose.:icon_confused: Now adding a hood scoop would probably help, as well as skid plates underneath to reduce drag on parts down there. And a nice coat of wax couldn't hurt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals