• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger

'rubbin'racing89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i new to the truck seen i have a 1998 ranger with a 3.0 v6 and its 2wheel drive..the think i'm asking is when i hitt a water puddle that about 5-6inch deep well i roll up to it and floor it and when i get out or well in it it well act like its missing firing or not running on all Cylinder but soon as i get out it will run find a 1min later if that? any ideas.i also have a bad o2 but only throw codes once and awhile

klogtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
stay out of the water. jk, coil's getting wet. soak the wire's and cap with kerosene

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
next time you do it, pull the air filter and see if its wet, if it is then stop going thru water that deep or get a snorkel before the engine gets hydrolocked.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Don't use kerosene. :rolleyes:

Use dielectric grease on all the connections and avoid hitting the water at speed just because "it looks cool"....

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't use kerosene. :rolleyes:

Use dielectric grease on all the connections and avoid hitting the water at speed just because "it looks cool"....
But Johnny.............it's the coolest!!!

RedRanger888

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But Johnny.............it's the coolest!!!
That's what my ex-wife thought with the '90 B2 we used to have (until she rolled it! :temper:). Same thing, it actually disintegrated the end of the coil wire where it went into the distributor. Had the same problem in a V-8 Comet in high school after plowing through snow in a blizzard, actually ate part of the distributor itself out around the coil post, from arcing or whatever.
Go with the grease, kerosene might have bad effects on the rubber components.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Not to mention kerosene is fairly flammable. And it stinks. Why not just pour a quart of oil all over the top of the motor?

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i new to the truck seen i have a 1998 ranger with a 3.0 v6 and its 2wheel drive..the think i'm asking is when i hitt a water puddle that about 5-6inch deep well i roll up to it and floor it and when i get out or well in it it well act like its missing firing or not running on all Cylinder but soon as i get out it will run find a 1min later if that? any ideas.i also have a bad o2 but only throw codes once and awhile
I'd love to try to help with an answer but I don't really understand the question. Might I recommend some grammar/spelling editing?

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
since your truck is a 1998 you would have a coil pack. could be that your wires are getting wet and sparking elsewhere other than through the plug. An easy way to check your wire is get a spray bottle with water in it and spray water onto the wires with the engine running. if the engine starts missing then you need to replace you plug wires. While you are replacing plug wires it wouldn't hurt to do a full tune-up including, plugs,wires, air filter, fuel filter, and clean your throttle body. let us know once you test the wires and what the results are.

BSU541

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6 from an '02 Ranger.
Transmission
Manual
Not to scare you, but that is the exact same story of how I ruined my old engine, except my brother was driving, and he floored it through about 16 inches of water. Water shot way up in the air, and a bunch got in the engine. It would still start, it just ran and sounded really funny. That's why I had to replace my engine...

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Not to scare you, but that is the exact same story of how I ruined my old engine, except my brother was driving, and he floored it through about 16 inches of water. Water shot way up in the air, and a bunch got in the engine. It would still start, it just ran and sounded really funny. That's why I had to replace my engine...

yep happened to me too in my 02 ranger, thought the big wave was cool so i went thru a bunch of puddles on a fire road real fast and sucked water and the truck felt like a cell phone on vibrate from all the valves and connecting rod bent. very expensive mistake. especially because it was a lease lol.

'rubbin'racing89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
o thanks for all the help i'm pretty sure i just suck up some water...i change the intake system to a cone filter and now its fix :) thanks guys i plan not to go in water just mudd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals