• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rc cars

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking into some Moabs, but now I like those Badlands a lot more. They do look like they would really hook up good.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have 40-series Moabs on my Summit (with real bead lock wheels :headbang:) and they are great. If I ever try another tire for my off road Rustler, it'll be Moabs.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Some day I'll fork out the cash for some beadlocks, I'm pretty sick of tearing tires off my rims all the time. Should have just pulled the trigger a long time ago instead of buying 6 different sets of tires to be able to use for 2 or 3 runs.

Shwack10

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 40-series Moabs on my Summit (with real bead lock wheels :headbang:) and they are great. If I ever try another tire for my off road Rustler, it'll be Moabs.
How are you liking your Summit? I'm thinking about getting one. Whats it like for maintenance?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Some day I'll fork out the cash for some beadlocks, I'm pretty sick of tearing tires off my rims all the time. Should have just pulled the trigger a long time ago instead of buying 6 different sets of tires to be able to use for 2 or 3 runs.
What causes that? The speed? I haven't really had that problem on my street Rustler that's geared for probably about 60 MPH. I prefer to glue tires myself (I'm weird - I think it's fun) and the only tires I have had a glue problem with are Pro-Line Road Rage, which IMO are terrible tires anyway.

The bead on Traxxas wheels are different than the "standard" beads, which in a way I think is dumb, but maybe the design helps keep the tires on the wheels. Maybe.
How are you liking your Summit? I'm thinking about getting one. Whats it like for maintenance?
Man, the Summit is the BEST! It's the ultimate go anywhere, do anything truck. Rain or shine, mud or snow, it's unstoppable.

It's not a dedicated crawler, but it crawls exceptionally well with the two-speed tranny, remote locking front/rear diffs, and tons of wheel travel. To me it's the best of both worlds because you can crawl and bash/jump it, too. It's a blast.

It's not particularly fast out of the box; top speed is around 20 MPH, but that can be dealt with if you choose. There are lots of people who swap out the motor for a DeWalt drill motor, which provides even more torque and a little more top speed. The nice thing about the DeWalt motor is that it has replaceable brushes, unlike the stock motor.

I have had mine for a year now, and have done ZERO maintenance to it. I admit, there are some routine things I have been meaning to do but have been putting off, like cleaning/lubing the bearings, tranny, and diffs, but the truck requires very little maintenance, and it's built so damn tough that it just doesn't break parts. Aside from an axle I broke once (which was totally my fault and wouldn't have happened if I wasn't being stupid) the only part I have ever broken in a year worth of abuse is the bumper mounts. With batteries, this truck is about 13-14 pounds, so when you land a jump directly on the bumper, somethings going to give. Better the bumper mount than the chassis, though. RPM now makes bumper mounts for the Summit, which I bought and installed immediately. I haven't heard one single report of anyone breaking those yet.

If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What causes that? The speed?
Yep. Either they balloon out too big or they tear apart while bashing. I had one completely shred while it was wide open, probably at a little over 70. It was like watching a NASCAR blow a tire. Right before it tore the body off, there was shredded rubber and foam flying through the air. It was a pretty sweet crash.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how many of you are 1/5 scalers?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a traxxas monster buggy, but it was having some running issues, with other stuff going on it's been shelved for a while.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went 1/5 scale, and will never return to anything smaller... well, MAYBE 1/8 scale electrics.

Traxxas seems to be the noob market, they put a MPH stamp on almost everything they have. Why? because the first question a KID asks is "how fast can it go?". Just what we need more noobs with a car/truck that does 60.

My first r/c had a Mabuchi 540... and then I upgraded to a Trinity Paradox motor. I loved the stock class... people knew how to drive em! They weren't ridiculously faster than the driver could handle. Competition was always tight. The "stock" class is a thing of the past.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I went 1/5 scale, and will never return to anything smaller... well, MAYBE 1/8 scale electrics.

Traxxas seems to be the noob market, they put a MPH stamp on almost everything they have. Why? because the first question a KID asks is "how fast can it go?". Just what we need more noobs with a car/truck that does 60.

My first r/c had a Mabuchi 540... and then I upgraded to a Trinity Paradox motor. I loved the stock class... people knew how to drive em! They weren't ridiculously faster than the driver could handle. Competition was always tight. The "stock" class is a thing of the past.
Traxxas has all the crap stock that you would want aftermarket, too bad they don't sell chassis kits anymore, though. With that said, I would NOT hand my brushless mini-revo to a kid to let them drive it. I have yet to hand the controller to someone who didn't immediately hand it back and say "Dude, I am not touching that" and one of them owns a 3.3 Jato. From a dead stop, if I peg the throttle, it will do a couple backflips before gaining enough momentum to move forward, and then it just wheelies onto the roof. I have the suspension set really low, too. I bought a wheelie bar, but have yet to put it on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals