• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rc cars

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here it is. Jato 3.3. This thing is a rocket. 65+ out of the box. Did a few things to get a few mph's. Three shoe clutch, lightweight flywheel, aluminum rear arms, shock tower, and rear arm braces, Avid bearings, K&N intake, and exhaust mods.
It's all ripped apart right now to turn it into an offroad setup with lift, wheel/tires, shocks, and gearing. Then I can really break some parts!

My older HPI RS4 mt and the Jato

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Powerranger, you made it over here, eh?
Yeah, thanks for the info about this place, this forum is awesome. I've just been reading through all the old stuff, a lot more technical stuff and detailed info, it's awesome.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I used to rebuild these =D I had parts to make my own, but had no soldering iron, might see if Jason still has them, if so, I steal!

I had a Tyco Hummer H1 kids RC, but I gave it to Jason because he lost his remote and I wanted to give him another, so the H1 wen with =P. (pretty large too).

I like taking the broken bodies and rebuilding them =) the only thing that stops me is the radio boards, to shortwave, I'd like something with maybe 10 or 15 yards of play, thats reasonable distance. Wheels are easy =P haha, I can make em

Use stuff like these:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4027809
http://www.amazon.com/Bruder-Actros-Truck-Country-Vehicle/dp/B00007B8OA/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278554527&sr=1-25
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Models-Ton-4x4-Truck/dp/B003BEDSU6/ref=sr_1_165?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278554715&sr=1-165
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Curve-Brands-Control-Tractor/dp/B001VNC6D4/ref=sr_1_216?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278554790&sr=1-216
http://www.amazon.com/Stampede-Monster-Truck-RTR-XL-5/dp/B002SX62YU/ref=sr_1_204?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278554790&sr=1-204

Those I modify to be REAL RC cars

Last edited:

Xtreme187

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have the Traxxas Slayer. I have had T-maxxes, Revos, Jatos and 4tecs and tc3s.......Spent alot of money and had a ton of fun but marriage and twin daughters caused me to thin the herd and now I only have the Slayer left. I love this truck. Cant wait to blow the engine to upgrade.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
For scale performance, nothing beats the Axial SCX-10 chassis. It's a full on steel c-channel with solid axles and locked diffs. I've got a Traxxas Revo (same as summit and many other trucks traxxas sells on that chassis) and never run it since it's nowhere near as fun. Sure, it has so much power it can backflip from a dead stop and land perfect on its wheels (hell, it'll flip 2-3 times before it gains momentum) but its not as fun as technical rock crawling. It's just like having a real mini truck.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A little update after the offroad conversion.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh boy my nerd time is about to come out.

Well i have a traxxas electric rustler. It has a proline prerunner f150 body. It has a the dyanmite brushless system on it. And is quick.

And than i got my big toy.

Traxxas nitro revo. It was a 3.3 but got it off my friend minus the motor and slapped my spare 2.5 in it. Its all mostly stock right now but i redid the shocks and have it set up nice.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks sweet! What exactly did you convert?

Plan on keeping the Talons on there?
I switched out the front spindles to a Rustler setup so I can run hex wheels all the way around. The Jato comes with just hexes in the back, and finding bigger wheels for a Jato sucks. So now I can run just about any wheel and tire combo I want. Also, changed the springs and raised it up for more clearance, and got rid of the sway bars. Now I am contemplating changing it to a 20T gear for a little more torque with the bigger wheels.
And yeah, keeping the talons for sure.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I switched out the front spindles to a Rustler setup so I can run hex wheels all the way around. The Jato comes with just hexes in the back, and finding bigger wheels for a Jato sucks. So now I can run just about any wheel and tire combo I want. Also, changed the springs and raised it up for more clearance, and got rid of the sway bars. Now I am contemplating changing it to a 20T gear for a little more torque with the bigger wheels.
And yeah, keeping the talons for sure.
Talons are great tires! I have a set on my revo and they wear nice and grip reallly good.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
...yeah see, i started to do this. some of my friends do it. then i realized its axle swaps or rc cars... so rc cars aint happening.. they are tons of fun tho.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not really a fan of Talons. I have them on my MERV (mini Revo) and I'm not particularly impressed.

For off road, I prefer the 5" tall Pro-Line Badlands on my off road Rustler. :icon_thumby:

Here's my 2 latest bodies for my street Rustler...

And the current fleet - Summit, two Rustlers, and mini Revo:

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's an awesome collection you have there. I really like those badlands, maybe after I rip the talons apart that will have to be my next set.
Just wondering what you don't like about the talons. Grip? Wear?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I admit I'm a little prejudiced toward the Talons. My opinion comes mostly from the looks (they're not bad looking tires, I just prefer off road tires with a more aggressive tread) and from the mixed opinions of them on the forums. To be fair, they're probably more of an A/T - they seem to wear pretty well on pavement. I just think they could use a little more of road traction. They seem to do okay on my MERV, but I think the truck gets around good more because of the 4WD than the meats. Hell, I could say the same thing about my Ranger and the stock Wranglers.

Nothing against them, though. And your Jato does look sick with them.

You can tell just by looking at Badlands that they have no business being run on pavement, so they're not as versatile as the Talons. But they absolutely rule in all off road situations.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals