• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Re-asking a question from a different angle

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Ok I asked before is it possible to remove the oil pan from a 93 Ranger 4.0 without removing the engine. I was told no so I can accept that answer. So now I am looking at it from a different angle and hope maybe this can be done. So here is the question. Is it possible to raise the motor enough to at least drop the pan down far enough to remove and replace the oil pump ?? Really do not want to have to take the engine out unless absolutely necessary !! Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Probably, but by the time you get there, might as well raise it a few more inches and remove it.

Even if pan is removed without engine removal, putting it back may not be possible due to things like cleanliness and gasket placement.

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Probably, but by the time you get there, might as well raise it a few more inches and remove it.

Even if pan is removed without engine removal, putting it back may not be possible due to things like cleanliness and gasket placement.
I was told the pan will not come off unless I completely remove the engine !! I am trying to see if it is possible to get the pump off without having to remove the engine !!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I was told the pan will not come off unless I completely remove the engine !! I am trying to see if it is possible to get the pump off without having to remove the engine !!
I thought you were asking if its possible to raise the engine without removing to get to the oil pan. I am trying to say raising is part of removal anyways. by the time you disconnect/remove enough things to raise the engine, you might as well remove it. Maybe you can try as you just raise it, and if it doesnt work, raise it some more. If that still doesnt work, raise it until its removed. Either way I would recommend an engine hoist aka cherry picker. My answer is yes, it is possible, if you raise the motor high enough.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My understanding is that by the time you get the engine high enough to have clearance to do the work, you will already have just about everything disconnected. At that point, it is usually far less aggravating to get the engine out than to leave it dangling in the engine compartment and working upside down underneath it with the crossmember still in the way.

but technically, yes. You can do the oil pump replacement with the engine still “in the engine bay area”. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
My understanding is that by the time you get the engine high enough to have clearance to do the work, you will already have just about everything disconnected. At that point, it is usually far less aggravating to get the engine out than to leave it dangling in the engine compartment and working upside down underneath it with the crossmember still in the way.

but technically, yes. You can do the oil pump replacement with the engine still “in the engine bay area”. Try it and let us know how it goes.
This what I was trying to say. Cat got my tongue today.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not quite the same but to replace the leaking oil pan gasket from my '02 4WD 3.0L Ranger, my mechanic lowered the front axle and removed the automatic transmission to extract the oil pan.

My one mistake was not to replace the oil pan while the mechanic was at it since the drain plug threads had been buggered.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Not quite the same but to replace the leaking oil pan gasket from my '02 4WD 3.0L Ranger, my mechanic lowered the front axle and removed the automatic transmission to extract the oil pan.

My one mistake was not to replace the oil pan while the mechanic was at it since the drain plug threads had been buggered.
On a 93, there is a crossmember in the way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Inside the oil pan is the oil pump pickup, its at the lowest part of the pan, and there in lies the problem

You can't slide the oil pan back because of the pickup tube, the front of the pan is just not deep enough
So you have to raise the engine up enough to drop the pan down far enough for the front of the pan to clear the pickup tube

And you can't raise the engine up that much without disconnecting it from the transmission, the bellhousing will hit the body/tunnel, there is only maybe 3" of clearance there, pickup tube is way deeper than 3"

So disconnect transmission first, and move it back, you may need to pull off the flexplate/flywheel
Then raise engine up about 8"
Then unbolt the pan and see if it will drop down enough to clear oil pickup tube

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah, crossmember in the way! And I thought the '02 design was bad!

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Ok I asked before is it possible to remove the oil pan from a 93 Ranger 4.0 without removing the engine. I was told no so I can accept that answer. So now I am looking at it from a different angle and hope maybe this can be done. So here is the question. Is it possible to raise the motor enough to at least drop the pan down far enough to remove and replace the oil pump ?? Really do not want to have to take the engine out unless absolutely necessary !! Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Inquiring from a different point of view.......what has happened to the engine oil pressure that you feel it is necessary to replace just the oil pump?

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Inquiring from a different point of view.......what has happened to the engine oil pressure that you feel it is necessary to replace just the oil pump?
Had a new engine I built for it. When I first put it in it ran pretty good with the exception I was getting some chatter out of a couple of lifters. Now everything was brand new when I built the motor and the gauge was showing good oil pressure so I thought possibly I got a defective lifter. I tore it down in the truck and replaced all the lifters with new again. Put it back together and now it is still got the chatter. I read a few posts here and I saw a lot of complaints about the Mellings High volume oil pumps, which is the one I used. So I picked up a Sealed Power unit with the pickup and want to give it a try. I've gotten better input about the Sealed Power unit !! I figured using process of elimination it is either the oil pump or possibly a bad pushrod but when driving the truck at rpm over 1500 it runs quietly and smoothly without any chatter so I am thinking the output from the pump is shady !!!!

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Hmmmmmm....interesting, from my point of view I'd be installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge before doing anything else to truly see what the oil pressure is under all conditions. I'd be hesitant to blame a fresh pump (& especially a high volume item) for a situation that is showing itself at ....just idle?

I've used Melling pumps in the past in my Chrysler/Dodge turbo engine rebuilds & never suffered from a bad pump.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
same as 55trucker said... he beat me to it... doesn't sound like a oil pump at all......

run with covers off and look for oil in the valleys coming up from the bottom... that will let you know 100% if pump bad

a bit of chatter won't hurt anything... :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals