• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really don't know what do to next (long sorry)

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I figured i'd post about this and see if anyone has some wisdom to share. I hope you don't mind the length, but I like to be thorough and need help.

I've had my truck for a year. I enjoy it. It doesn't cost a ton of money to run, so that's a big help. I bought it because it's a Ford, rwd, can haul stuff, handles decent, looks good and is very versatile (dare I say almost too much so). I feel that I need more from it, though.

Since I bought it I had discovered the famous saggy front springs problem, so I bought a SkyJacker 2" lift kit (new coils up front and AALs out back), 235/75-15 BFG AT's and a 3" BL. The idea was to stop the suspension from bottoming in the front (absolutely UNACCEPTABLE!)

Didn't care much for the firmer ride in the back, so I removed the AALs and replaced with a 1" custom spacer. Better. (axle wind up was crappy though with the bigger tires)

I also didn't like how the tires slowed the truck down as much as they did (didn't re-gear - my bad!), so those were replaced with stock 235/60-15 Firestone Indy 500s. Better. (and no more axle wind up)

Then I figured I wasn't gonna lift it afterall, so I sold the BL kit I had.

I also needed new shocks, so Rancho 5000s all around. Those are still in the truck right now.

Since then i've acquired an 8.8 out of a Ranger that I want to install so I can have a TracLoc differential (hopefully install by end of this year). Since I want the TracLoc so bad I want to get my butt in gear and ..... decide SOMETHING! I really don't want to have to re-gear it twice, but I just can't help but think that I really don't know wtf I want to do. I would be using different gears depending on if I lift or lower and I only want to buy them once (having a mortgage and buying everything twice because I can't make up my mind is pissing me off lol).

If I lift it i'd like to get 31s, so i'm pretty sure i'd need a 3" BL to get those to fit well. I know that not re-gearing with the bigger tires was a mistake before, so I wanna be sure I do this properly this time (might also help with axle wind up ..... ?). If I lower it then I get DJM beams and probably shocks (not sure what i'd do with the rear yet, either axle or shackle flip). Either way the new rear end get's geared.

Truck is used 95% for street, commuting back and forth to work, and also as the occasional furniture/garbage hauler. I like the idea of lifting largely for sake of safety (in a collision), but not for economy (yeah, I said economy about a pick up truck with big tires). I like the idea of lowering because of better handling and potentially safer load hauling, but not for bottoming suspension (I know the beams should solve this tough). Truck is currently slightly lifted so I figure it's around a ride height that is a compromise right now. All my life i've been a V8 rwd guy, so having a lifted truck is appealing ..... but i'm not sure if it's just a phase or something. (key point!)

I don't have a preference (although if I could afford 2 i'd have one lifted and one lowered and be happy). I want something that I can drive reliably, comfortably and safely.

If I had to complain about my truck in any way right now i'd say I don't care much for the ride. Then again it's a pick up truck, so i'm not sure how much better it could get.

Just for ****s and giggles i'll post a pic. PLEASE tell me what you think. I've spent hours searching and looking at pics and just can't make up my mind. I'm hoping that there may be a few key points brought to my attention that I haven't thought of yet that'll help.

THANKS!

The way it sits now ..... 2" Skyjacker lift springs up front, 1" custom spacer in rear, 235/60R15 Indy 500s.

With BFGs a few months ago ..... same as above, but with the AALs in the back instead of the 1" spacer.

When I bought it ..... with saggy front springs

I have a pic I Gimp'ed with a 3/3 drop, but I can't post it on PhotoBucket. Looks neat though! :icon_confused:

Last edited:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Personally, I'd go with 31" tires and the lift you already have on it; but thats my opinion.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the way it sits on those BFG A/t's It looks lke you could just slap 31's under it as it is now, then regear the backand be done. No lift needed. But the lifting option is definetly cheaper... I think? 50 dollar BL or hockey pucks... and 31's...

What do you do mostly? Is it mostly street driven? Do you see rough roads? If it is only street driven and the roads are nice where you ive drop it but I personally have more fn in my lifted trucks. They just... I don't know. maybe it was the fact I could go through 2 feet of snow with out trouble...

Actually The 235's look pretty sweet on there. And they are cheape and you only have to regear to 3.73 or 4.10's

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
With the way it sits on those BFG A/t's It looks lke you could just slap 31's under it as it is now, then regear the backand be done. No lift needed. But the lifting option is definetly cheaper... I think? 50 dollar BL or hockey pucks... and 31's...

What do you do mostly? Is it mostly street driven? Do you see rough roads? If it is only street driven and the roads are nice where you ive drop it but I personally have more fn in my lifted trucks. They just... I don't know. maybe it was the fact I could go through 2 feet of snow with out trouble...

Actually The 235's look pretty sweet on there. And they are cheape and you only have to regear to 3.73 or 4.10's
I know, it was a lot to read. :) ..... "Truck is used 95% for street, commuting back and forth to work, and also as the occasional furniture/garbage hauler."

Regardless, I have entertained the idea of going back to the 235s. I can skip the BL like that and save time/money/hassle all at the same time. Anything is an option at this point.

Working with a local Ranger owner to get a set of 31s under there as a test fit. I'll check clearances and such and see what happens. I know 31s will fit as is, but it'd be tighter than I care for.

Thanks guys.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Street it...

That means lower it...

Which in turn means let gravity take over...

It'll be easier to get into...

DO IT!

Hahaha... just adding to the confusion that which is your truck.

Happy deciding!

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's funny, but today whilst scouring through Ranger-type stuff I stumbled upon a pic of a mid-90's Jeep Cherokee in white. It instantly reminded me of a buddy I used to work with that had one. I always thought it was a neat truck. Surprisingly enough we had quite similar taste in car/truck likes/dislikes. After he had it a few years he decided to lift it. He did a lift with bigger tires and a re-gear to suit. It was done purely for looks. Closest he took it off road was through the big snow piles in our work parking lot.

He only had the truck for about a year after lifting it and slowly complained more and more about the fact that he didn't like doing it. He said it killed any performance the truck had and the extra fuel consumption wasn't pleasant either.

I thought about that today.

I like performance. I like going fast. I like carving corners. I guess i'll like gravity taking over soon. :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the input, guys.

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The first picture screams lower it it my opinion.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your front springs do not look sagged at all. They are supposed to sit lower in the front.

I think it looks pretty good as it is... if you're not gonna wheel it, don't lift it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals