• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear ABS got anything to do with A4LD transmission?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Make sure that all of the wiring connectors are securely plugged in on the transmission.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I'm taking it in next Monday. The shop owner said the first thing he'll do is check the connectors.
He said it should be ok for me to drive it till then....................don't you all think I should avoid driving it?
Or just use regular 'D' on gear shift selector and not overdrive 'D.'

Last edited:

mmerlinn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 & 93
Make / Model
Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
Drive it in any gear you want.

Worst case scenario in OD is that it will start shifting normally.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I tested it in OD this weekend. Still no 4th gear. It climbs from 1st to 3rd gear like it should.
It just won't go beyond 3rd

mmerlinn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 & 93
Make / Model
Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
I tested it in OD this weekend. Still no 4th gear. It climbs from 1st to 3rd gear like it should.
It just won't go beyond 3rd
Most likely bad connection or bad solenoid. Either way, easy fix without removing transmission.

Though, not likely, could be stuck OD valve or broken OD spring. Swap/rebuild valve body to fix that, again without dropping transmission.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
OD was working before the last repair. I dropped it off this morning.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The shift solenoid connector was loose. They made sure it was completely seated and now I have 4th gear overdrive again.
But I might not be done with all this yet. They might need to adjust something or install a shift kit

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
4th gear went out again. I have to bring it back to the transmission shop Monday. The guy also agreed to install a shift kit. Any further problems and I will insist on a second rebuild without delay.
But they might do that next week anyway.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission guy called me today. They've had my truck since 11/27. He says they have been unable to isolate the latest issue.
He says it has to be internal. They are going to tear it down and build it again.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
This is a nightmare. I picked up the truck Saturday. It still doesn't run right. The 2nd and 3rd gear shifting is sometimes weak or barely noticeable. Sometimes with a slight 'slide' also.
And they say they rebuilt it and added a shift kit also. I guess I'll have to submit a consumer complaint or tell them to keep the transmission and refund my money.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
My vote is for a refund.

My experience with shift kits are GM trannys and not ford's.. but.. either way.. a shift kit is should be a night and day difference.. spirited driving causing tire chirping shifts..

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah. Every time I take it back to them, I never know what to expect when I pick it up. On more than one occasion, they tried to let me drive when it has an obvious defect.
I catch them every time. This last time, I was getting ready to leave their lot and the gear shift selector was all squirrelly, misaligned with the gear selector indicator and very tight.
They fixed that at least.

Last edited:

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Also 4th gear still doesn't work. I can feel 4th gear try to engage. But it leads nowhere. Nothing happens. The RPM's don't go down and it stays in 3rd gear. Is this the PCM sending a signal the transmission is not responding to?

And won't that very weak shifting shorten the life of the transmission?

Last edited:

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: I must have done about 25 test runs in the last 10 days. I also did a test drive (below) with the shop owner and I agree with him
that 4th gear IS kicking in every time.

However.......

The shop owner took the truck for another test drive Thursday. I complained the shifting is sometimes weak or barely noticeable. He doesn't think there is a problem
and says he isn't worried about it. He says the transmission will last for years. I don't agree. And I don't believe him. He said he installed a Transgo Shift Kit.
Basically, it sometimes runs like a continuously variable transmission when you barely feel the gear shift transition. I have not heard anything about A4LD being
redesigned to run like a CVT.

But without me asking, he added 6 months and an additional 8000 miles to my warranty and initialed it. He said there are a couple adjustments he can make to increase fluid pressure
and firmness of shift. He said it's difficult to adjust and there is a fine line between lite and hard shift. He doesn't sound thrilled about doing this. But he said he will do this for me if I want.

All this this back and forth to get this trans running right is crazy. I had another shop take it for a test drive and they thought something was off. I'm not being too picky. I'm not an expert. But I know how the A4LD should run. I'm willing to take it back one more time.

He said he has to pull the valve body to make these adjustments. Let me ask you guys this. Does this mean if he doesn't get the adjustment right, he has to keep removing the valve body
to make adjustments? I thought at least modulator and bands could be adjusted from outside the transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals