• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle Bearing Symtoms?

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I notice a little binding when I back out of my drive and put in drive straighten up and drive away..Seems it started right after a rear gear lube with limited slip lube...I'm thinking axle bearing,u-joints or rear brake shoe binding,it is only on the drivers side it seems so I leaning toward outer axle bearing...Also seems to have a lot of excess play in the drive line..What's your thoughts? TIA, Bob C.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
It may be clutch chatter from the LSD . If it is just first thing and goes away, I wouldn't worry.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Axle bearings going out will whine while driving, just like any other wheel bearing going out.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Glazed-over clutch discs maybe?......we used to drain the diff. oil & refill diff. with A/T fluid....
then drive the vehicle for about 5 miles in town making lots of left & righthand turns......
then drain the A/T fluid out.....
then put the good L/S/D oil back into the diff.

but verify this with the other members!

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took my Ranger to a small mom and pop repair place up the street and they just charged me $35 and I have a feeling they put what ever oil and L\S additive they had at Napa so I ordered 3 qts of Motorcraft 80W-90 rear-end oil and Motorcraft L\S additive which cost me over $50 for both and will have them drain it and install the Motorcraft parts and see if that don't cure it...It didn't do until they serviced it and there is no way that they used Motorcraft for what they charged me so I believe that is the problem..Thanks

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't be quick to blame them. They buy GL-5 in drums, not in bottles, so their cost is much less. Also, it's harder to be a Mom-n-Pop because it's all word of mouth. They wouldn't be there if they were idiots. Almost all the small places are gone. People want McDonalds type service at an automotive repair shop. If you go back there, they will show you what they put into your axle. I would go back and find out what happened. After you sort it out, they will be the nicest people in the world to you. They aren't out to screw you. They would have been long gone if that was how they operated. I only go to those small places. Last time I went to a big place was Big-O tires and they aligned my TTB Ranger by holding it up under the coils. I was lucky to make it home alive.

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't be quick to blame them. They buy GL-5 in drums, not in bottles, so their cost is much less. Also, it's harder to be a Mom-n-Pop because it's all word of mouth. They wouldn't be there if they were idiots. Almost all the small places are gone. People want McDonalds type service at an automotive repair shop. If you go back there, they will show you what they put into your axle. I would go back and find out what happened. After you sort it out, they will be the nicest people in the world to you. They aren't out to screw you. They would have been long gone if that was how they operated. I only go to those small places. Last time I went to a big place was Big-O tires and they aligned my TTB Ranger by holding it up under the coils. I was lucky to make it home alive.
I'm not going back to chew ass I'm going back because I trust them...They have already drained and refilled it once but I think they put back the same oil and L\S additive they bought earlier so this time I am going to repay them to add the genuine Ford Motorcraft oil and L\S additive and see if that don't cure it..I like that place they have always treated me right and the price is always fair and I send them customers every chance I get..Thanks for your opinion..Bob C.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
motorcraft oil......mmmm no.

motorcraft l/s fluid maybe.

if the wrong oil was in there on the other hand, its too late.

but the l/s additive they used possibly was not slimy enough, i have had that happen more then a few times.

i would have added the l/s additive and called it a day, the 90 weight you bought is a waste in the sense you intend it, but not so bad as it gives you peace of mind, and a double douching of a well worn diff should be a good thing.

generally ime, whine comes from altered lash due to worn carrier/and or pinion bearings.

and a groan or growl and vibration comes from axleshaft bearings. usually the wheel seals start to leak as well when the shaft bearings are worn to making noise...often the shaft is tore up as well when that happens.

i am sure they inspected it all though. if its simple clutch chatter the additive will solve it pretty quick.

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
motorcraft oil......mmmm no.

motorcraft l/s fluid maybe.

if the wrong oil was in there on the other hand, its too late.

but the l/s additive they used possibly was not slimy enough, i have had that happen more then a few times.

i would have added the l/s additive and called it a day, the 90 weight you bought is a waste in the sense you intend it, but not so bad as it gives you peace of mind, and a double douching of a well worn diff should be a good thing.

generally ime, whine comes from altered lash due to worn carrier/and or pinion bearings.

and a groan or growl and vibration comes from axleshaft bearings. usually the wheel seals start to leak as well when the shaft bearings are worn to making noise...often the shaft is tore up as well when that happens.

i am sure they inspected it all though. if its simple clutch chatter the additive will solve it pretty quick.
My point being It didn't have chatter before they changed the fluid and added some aftermarket L\S additive ...I just proactively took it in for a maintenance thing so I am willing to pay again to get it changed to the factory spec lubes required as I can't see as being a issue...I'm just a nit picky person who notices changes and want it right..

I noticed another non-connected issue today as well...I was sitting at a stop light on a incline when I gave it throttle to take off the rpm's raised and like one small drive train clunk then another then it took off smoothly..What's up with that?? Rear u-joints maybe?

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
understood about the chatter being post oil change.

assumed they inspected the drive line and diff.

but, if they did not put spec oil in, that would be bad.

i know how oil is made. and i know for certain there is quite a range for many types of additive packages for various types of lubricant oils after fractioning. there are superior products for damn sure, over the minimum standards.

but this for the most part affects how long a fluid will last in a set of conditions more then anything.

possible they added the wrong modifier or did not add any l/s modifier lube.

or you have an upstream mechanical issue like you suspect.

pretty simple, jack it up and start turning stuff to see what is loose or appears to be sloppy:icon_thumby:

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
understood about the chatter being post oil change.

assumed they inspected the drive line and diff.

but, if they did not put spec oil in, that would be bad.

i know how oil is made. and i know for certain there is quite a range for many types of additive packages for various types of lubricant oils after fractioning. there are superior products for damn sure, over the minimum standards.

but this for the most part affects how long a fluid will last in a set of conditions more then anything.

possible they added the wrong modifier or did not add any l/s modifier lube.

or you have an upstream mechanical issue like you suspect.

pretty simple, jack it up and start turning stuff to see what is loose or appears to be sloppy:icon_thumby:
It's going in next Thursday for the Motorcraft oil and L\S and I will have them check the complete driveline at that time..It seems just a little sloppy...If it needs u-joints what brand is best,Motorcraft? Also years ago I needed u-joints and it had a shake through all the gears at any speed on mine I just notice it as a double clunk on take off...Thanks

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
could be bad mounts, busted spring or blown bushings, loose bolts etc. sometimes you bust and spit a piece of spring and its loose....hell it could be anything, cant see it from here. when i hear something i immediately stop and inspect it till i know what it is....this saved me a shit ton of money.

spicer joints are the preferred brand of myself, they would be the motorcraft joint if there was one.

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could be bad mounts, busted spring or blown bushings, loose bolts etc. sometimes you bust and spit a piece of spring and its loose....hell it could be anything, cant see it from here. when i hear something i immediately stop and inspect it till i know what it is....this saved me a shit ton of money.

spicer joints are the preferred brand of myself, they would be the motorcraft joint if there was one.
I went to fordparts.com what a maze of different u-joints available how in the heck to you find the one for your vehicle? Rockauto was a nightmare too..There not all that expensive either which was a shock..

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Try a local parts place that sells Spicer U-joints. You can get them greaseable or permanently lubed, IIR$C, I paid 13.50 $

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals