• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Differential Locker Help

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ive finally saved up a few paychecks from work, and was thinking about spending it on a Body Lift Kit, but after talking with a dude at the local Extreme Offroading shop, I decided not to. Instead, I wanna change out my stock open rear differential, and possibly put either a Limited Slip differential in, or perhaps even a rear differential Locker. I figuired its a good idea, because I realize that with my stock Open differential, only my right rear tire actually pushes the entire truck. Basically, Ive noticed that my beloved ranger is a one wheel drive! The thing is, I need sum help trying to find one that is a quality product, yet at the same time, fairly cheap. Does anybody know of any Brands and Models of Limited Slip differentials or differential Lockers that might b worth buying. Im kind of new to all of this Differential stuff, But im learnin'. Any help from ya'll would be awsome.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, it's two wheel drive. If it wasn't, you'd have some really odd handling characteristics that could border on dangerous (read more about how it works here).

As for locker vs. limited slip, if you're using the truck offroad and need the most traction, a limited slip may disappoint you. I'd go with a true locker in this case.
If street manners are important, I'd probably go with the Powertrax No-Slip locker if you can't afford a selectable locker such as the ARB.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
One thing we need to know, what type of axle you have 7.5, or 8.8, If you have a 7.5, consider swapping in an axle from a 95+ explorer. For the price you will spend on an LSD, you can have a stronger axle (31 spline vs 28), a LSD and rear disc brakes...
If you already have a 8.8, you have two options, LSD or locker.
Pros:
Locker is always better in any condition, especially if a wheel gets airborne
Very low maintenance
Needs no gear setup, uses same carrier
Cons:
It is a little bit more $$$

LSD Pros:
Cheaper than a locker
Easier to install
Cons:
You will have to re-set up your gears as you use a different carrier
Needs rebuilding from time to time, which can be frustrating
If a wheel is on a real slippery surface or gets airborne, your stuck
It all comes down to what you use it for, if its mainly a DD and sees occasional mild offroad, LSD would be a better choice. If you offroad every weekend and do more than mild wheelin, locker is for you. You can build an LSD with more clutch packs to make it grip more, but you still can't beat a locker. Prices, a locker will run you about 200-350, depending on where and new or used, LSD, about 50-200, also depending new or used, used you might have to rebuild.
SVT

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
well if you want to "piss of cops" get a locker and stand on it around every corner.....:thefinger: meaning I think thats a stupid tag line.

but truthfully, Id get a locker over a LSD if your going to use the truck off road at all.

cheap lockers will be any of the "lunch box" lockers, lock rites etc. easy to install as well. Can be done in your drive way in less than a day.

As for street manners with the lockrites, they are fair. they do have a few clitches over a LSD or open diff. but if you adjust your driving style to having a locker and keep up on tire pressure(make sure its equal)they will "mind thier manners" allright.

The biggest place you will notice not minding manners is in parking lots, and stop lights/sighns, when taking off, and making a tight turn going up hill. they will chrip the tires a bit.

really all depends on how you drive, on how much manners on the street a locker will have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals