• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drums are sticking

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I had to do some work to my truck, my rear wheel cylinders were leaking and destroyed everything. I had to do axle bearings and seals as well. All this stuff is cut and dry, the bearings got tapped in with a bearing setter, same for the seal. I replaced the 10” brakes setup, i replaced everything with a kit, i used timken bearings and napa seals. I do not hear the axle howling, the hub center reads at 114 on both sides. Pass side reads about 170 on the outer edge where the shoe rides. On the drivers side, its 290. I took everything apart, the l made sure the place sensitive parts are on the right side. The only thing i can really thing is the wheel cylinders, i sorta want to move them side to side. I also partially think that even all the way adjusted down, there should be more play. Is there a chance that
I just need to burn these parts in? I need help, thank you so much

Attachments

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I half thought to myself they should slide on and off. The linings may be too thick. Or the drums need to be cut. That seems like the easiest method i think. I swapped drums left to right, that was the only interchangeable part besides the red springs.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It looks to me in one of those pictures with all your new parts on... driver side... like the primary shoe is not up against the anchor pin.

If that is the case... the park brake strut is holding it away from the pin. This is caused by a misadjusted or seized up park brake cable.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Once you're sure the parking brake is fully released I'd look at the brake adjusters. I've never seen a setup like that on a Ford, did the old parts look the same?

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Time to junk those rear drum brakes and go with the Mustang disc brake conversion. Details and instructions are on this website.

I made a detailed journal with pictures of when I did the conversion on my 2002 Ranger. One of the best things I've done for this truck. Send me a PM with email address if you would like a copy.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your issue is the shoe isn't seated on the top pin
IMG_0503.jpeg

I've blown up and pointed to the issue. As the shoe is 5mm from the pin, they are way out of position. That is why the drums won't slip on.

You need to figure out why the shoe isn't against the pin (Is it in too deep, and resting on the backing plate, etc)

When do brakes I use a ratchet strap to hold the shoes on the pins while I a getting all the pieces in place.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I've had to custom fit brake shoes to drums before.

I set the shoes inside the drum, placed a socket the exact diameter as the anchor pin at the top and placed the self adjuster at the bottom.
needed to cut the notches on the self adjuster a couple times.
made sure the curvature matched the drum.
then once mounted I marked the shoe up with a magic marker and spun the drums to find high spots.
used a metal shaver type of file to shave the high spots which usually were the ends.

be sure the parking arm is fully retracted.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Time to junk those rear drum brakes and go with the Mustang disc brake conversion. Details and instructions are on this website.

I made a detailed journal with pictures of when I did the conversion on my 2002 Ranger. One of the best things I've done for this truck. Send me a PM with email address if you would like a copy.
already 250 in repair, going rear disc after all this put me in the hole deeper.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your issue is the shoe isn't seated on the top pin
View attachment 97799
I've blown up and pointed to the issue. As the shoe is 5mm from the pin, they are way out of position. That is why the drums won't slip on.

You need to figure out why the shoe isn't against the pin (Is it in too deep, and resting on the backing plate, etc)

When do brakes I use a ratchet strap to hold the shoes on the pins while I a getting all the pieces in place.
Thats a very good catch. Those are not weak springs, i didnt even think about that. Thats the most logical thing.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Once you're sure the parking brake is fully released I'd look at the brake adjusters. I've never seen a setup like that on a Ford, did the old parts look the same?
They actually did, same color springs, the adjuster matched up. It went together super easy.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It looks to me in one of those pictures with all your new parts on... driver side... like the primary shoe is not up against the anchor pin.

If that is the case... the park brake strut is holding it away from the pin. This is caused by a misadjusted or seized up park brake cable.
I dont use the ebrake, but could i just remove that little strut amd i should know immediatly

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

I swear, i was nodding my head to my son, i was like “for fifty bucks more we could have just done the disc, i dont know why i didnt..

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You could take it out to diagnose... but if both shoes aren't seated against the anchor pin... it is the problem.

I'm in no way saying you should not have a fully functioning emergency brake... because you should.

Take a large screwdriver and put it on the cable end of the park brake lever. Give it a couple solid raps with a hammer. It just might put the free play back into that stuck cable.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You could take it out to diagnose... but if both shoes aren't seated against the anchor pin... it is the problem.

I'm in no way saying you should not have a fully functioning emergency brake... because you should.

Take a large screwdriver and put it on the cable end of the park brake lever. Give it a couple solid raps with a hammer. It just might put the free play back into that stuck cable.
I agree, i need an emergency brake. But, it will take 10 minutes to do this and i will know. Thank you, appreciate it

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I dont use the ebrake, but could i just remove that little strut amd i should know immediatly
Please don't remove the parking brake, if people ever saw the park pawl in an automatic transmission they would never park on a hill without setting the brake. And if the hydraulic brakes should fail, having minimally effective mechanical brakes on only the rear wheels is way better than no brakes at all. And yes, I've seen full hydraulic brake failuers, usually after a "tech" at Jiffy Lube topped up the master cylinder with power steering fluid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals