• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear stabilizer bar......

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Was it an option only or only for 4x4 or what ?
I was under my truck today and to my surprise I didn't see one :-0

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sway bar. Believe only on 4x4's. Lots add the BII one to the rear, JY item. Hillborn was just selling the front and rear kits, all complete for under $70. Front bar 1 1/8" and rear 5/8" dia.
Dave

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
almost never see them on scsb rangers, my 08 didnt have one, swapped to the roush kit mentioned above which i think is just a 4x4 ext cab front bar and oem rear sway both have ford part # tags. wouldnt say it kills much roll out back but it does get rid of some of the floating around vague-ness when its unsettled by bumps and what not.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thats what I am looking to get rid of.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
sway bars are for SISSYS! j/k, but mine didnt come with a rear either. my brothers STX has one so maybe it was a 4x4 only or factory special order kinda thing? i ditched my front bar after doing the leveling spacers because i experienced rubbing issues due to not extending my links when i added the spacers. i just drive it like its a pick up truck and all is well........

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 04 had no rear. My Jeep has none at all. It takes corners the same as the Ranger did. All they do is keep stupid people from rolling, and kill flex.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 04 had no rear. My Jeep has none at all. It takes corners the same as the Ranger did. All they do is keep stupid people from rolling, and kill flex.
:icon_thumby: drive it like a truck and youll be fine

falcon7204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting thread. I was wondering the same thing, frankly. I noted in Alldata that my 2wd 1999 Ranger XLT was listed as having a rear stabilizer bar, but when I climbed under to look at it I noticed it wasn't there - and not only was it not there, but there was no indication one had ever been installed. The diagram shows a flat mounting plate on the rear end, to which attaches the bushing and front and rear brackets. But on my rear end, there is no flat plate. So, why would Ford provide incorrect information to Alldata? Or is it possible Alldata pulled the wrong diagram? At any rate, how would one go about retrofitting the rear end to accept a sway bar without welding or swapping out the rear end? Or, as other posters have indicated, is it really necessary?

This was brought about by my replacing the left front stabilizer link (which I discovered had a plastic [!] sleeve around the bolt and hollow bushings) and torquing down the right front link. I figured if the ride improved by replacing the front links, it should be even better by replacing the rear links. (Silly me. Gotta have the links first.)

So, is it really necessary? And does anyone have an opinion about the seeming disconnect between Alldata and reality?

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
well if your 2wd was an ext cab then the likely hood that you got a rear bar is there. its just hit and miss how ford decided what trucks needed them and which didnt. the rear bar bolts on, you have to drop the tank to get the drivers link in but other then that it just slides right into place over top of the axle. personally i like the 5/8 bar better then no 5/8 bar and keeping a small bar in back with a stiff bar up front encourages understeer which keeps my scsb managable for longer in the corners over just the stock front bar alone, how ever i dont think its worth the effort to buy just a 5/8 and install it. would definitely look for a expo or b2 sway if i was upgrading just the rear.

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well if your 2wd was an ext cab then the likely hood that you got a rear bar is there.

I have a 95 Super Cab 2wd and can confirm that I have a rear axle sway bar...I was actually just thinking about replacing its stock bushings with some of those polyurethane ones when I drop my fuel tank for to replace the front driver's leaf spring hanger.

I don't know if the sway bar gets the credit completely but I've always felt like the rear end of truck handled real well, not loose or vague like Duane mentioned.

03 EdGe 30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
04 EDGE reg cab and i HAVE a rear factory sway bar

falcon7204

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
View attachment 4899

This is the diagram I get from Alldata regarding the rear end in my 99 Ranger XLT Splash 4.0l 6 cyl. It seems as though part of the stabilizer bar mounting bracket (on the forward side of the rear end) sits just inboard of the shock absorber mounting bracket. What I can't tell is if this bracket is part of the rear end, or is a two-piece job.

If it's two-piece, it should be a simple matter to go find a 5/8 inch stabilizer bar at a salvage yard, remove it from the rear end, then put it on mine (with new brackets, bushings and links, natch). For those who have the 3.55:1 rear end (which is what mine has - either an 808D or 810S), can you tell me if the stabilizer bar bracket is part of the rear end itself (in other words, the front part of the bracket is welded on to the rear end) or a two-piece bracket?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
My '90 supercab 2wd 4.0l came stock with small swaybars front and rear. (7/8" on the front and something smaller on the rear) Its been in the family since it rolled off the dealers lot, so I know they were factory. I swapped in a 1 - 3/16" front from an 89 STX and a 1" rear from a 90 BII.

Between them, the 3/4 drop, and the 245/45ZR17 on Cobra wheels, I dont need to drive it like its a truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals