• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear windows

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How hard is it to remove the rear side windows? Mine are leaking and the local shop wanted $600+ to remove, reseal and replace the rear windows and install a new windshield. I don't have that laying around plus if there is any rust problems I'd like to treat and paint or cut out and replace.

So how bad is it to remove the rear windows? Any pro tips? I already have the trim panels off. I see there is studs with nuts but the 35 year old gaskets and sealant kinda scare me.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I believe you have to of course remove all the interior trim pieces inside from around the windows, then remove all the screws that go around the window, then if I recall you have to go outside and peel all that gasket off while trying not to break and drop the window.

Hopefully someone that's done this will respond soon and offer better directions. I haven't removed one yet, but I do want to get a replacement set for mine so it would be great to know how its done without damaging anything.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
If memory serves, after removing everything around the window, you should be able to see the slight gap between glass and frame. If this is visible, you can use a windshield draw knife/cutout tool to slice through the seal from the inside of the truck. Cutting through the silicone is a whole lot easier this way, there's less chance of chipping or shattering the glass. Its a slow process if you're not used to doing it, it takes patience. If you don't see the space between glass and frame, you'll have to cut it out from the outside, this takes experience and a very steady hand while pulling the knife. I've done a lot of glass over the years, I have broken my fair share, thats why these shops charge so much. They don't want to have to replace a piece of glass using their own money, so they charge you the cost of new glass and if they don't break it, its a bonus for them. You get the point. Best of luck, just go slow and take as many breaks as you need so you don't get anxious while cutting. I hope this helps you out, even if it's just a little.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its sounding more and more like I should just pay the shop to do it.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
That depends on how patient you are and your willingness to try. Either way, you'll be paying for new replacement glass. Paying to have it done, your buying new windows. If you try it and succeed, you don't pay for the replacement windows, if you try it and fail, the cost would be the same. The only real difference is that you could find out that you have a talent for glass, or you don't. Its kind of catch 22. You won't know unless you try it. But thats just how I am, I'd rather see if I can do it, worse case scenario, I fail. Lesson learned on my part. I guess I'm weird like that ! You'll figure it out.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure there is two styles of glass mounting. Make sure you dont start cutting unless you have to. It's been at least ten years since I've looked at removing the rear glass and I made the mistake of cutting when I shouldn't have, but cant remember the details.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rear windows simply bolt in and are very simple to remove, it only takes time. It helps to have someone on the outside to make sure you do not drop it, but, I have removed them myself, no problem. It fact, I have spare L & R hand ones sitting under my house for one of those "wish I had one" days. You can even replace them with bent sheet metal and rivet a metal window in.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can anyone verify if the seals on the rear side windows are replaceable or if it's just sealant? I can't find replacement gaskets online. I can't even get the glass shop to answer my questions or put it on their schedule. Put on hold twice for them to hang up. I gotta get this thing sealed up and put back together or I'm just gonna end up selling it and losing my ass on it. I was so excited to get this thing and now I can't hardly stand to look at it.

Attachments

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Can anyone verify if the seals on the rear side windows are replaceable or if it's just sealant? I can't find replacement gaskets online. I can't even get the glass shop to answer my questions or put it on their schedule. Put on hold twice for them to hang up. I gotta get this thing sealed up and put back together or I'm just gonna end up selling it and losing my ass on it. I was so excited to get this thing and now I can't hardly stand to look at it.
I don't think they're replaceable, or anything on those windows is replaceable at all anymore, that's why the glass shops won't answer your questions, they have no way to get the replacement glass, or seals or anything related to those windows.

They bolt in I know that much and you have disassemble the whole interior practically to get to the bolts. Stupid design by Ford once again to not just install a regular flat window and have the roof come down the side slightly like other vehicles LOL.

I'm sure you could use some window sealant of some sort in there but it would be a miserable chore to remove the window later if you had to...well I guess a rock would easily remove it LOL, but to do it right it would be miserable trying to cut through the sealant.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the feed back. wildbill is correct. The molding is part of the window. I got a hold of a service manual and it clearly shows it's part of the window. Thanks Ford but they probably never meant for these things to still be running around.

However as someone pointed out the bolts might be loose. They were all VERY loose. As in the nuts went in at least their own thickness again. So it's sitting the rain now and I have my fingers crossed it's not leaking.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
SUCCESS! I got the window out. Took about 2 hours and knowing what I know now I'm still not sure I could get it out any quicker. Thankfully it's solid and there is no rust around the window. Going to clean it up, repaint the lip and reinstall. Although much to my dismay the only obvious issue was the drip rail which doesn't explain the leak coming from up higher. I suspect the window was the minor leak and real culprit is the shrunken seam filler at the top of the rear hatch opening. I already planned to address that. I'm tempted to remove the other rear side window and have the body shop repaint the top and A-pillars. I like the look of the rest of the truck but I really don't want a rusty roof.

I was going to add some photos but apparently I'm not smart enough to link them in from google.

EDIT: The whole point of the post was to get a recommendation on what I should use to re-install it as a sealer?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals