• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommend me a netbook

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was at Walmart, looking for a power cable for my sisters old laptop (her dog chewed the cable up), the computer is a piece of crap, I was going to throw Ubuntu on it and use it as my watching TV computer. Well, power adapters are $70, so screw that.

What do you guys like for little netbooks? I know the keyboards are going to be small, but the Acer I saw at Walmart actually felt pretty good. I've tried a few others at Best Buy last time I was there and some were OK, some were like typing on my Palm Centro :icon_rofl:

I'm looking for something in the $300 range or so, I'd assume Newegg would be the cheapest place to get one? I think the Acer at Walmart was around $400.

Something that can run Rigs of Rods would be cool, but not required. I don't know how much power that little Intel Atom processor is so I don't know if it's capable of more than just basic internet or what.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have thought of getting one and getting a external hard drive for it to keep my music and stuff on since with my Zune I wouldn't have to have it on the computer all the time. Dunno how well it would work, but it would have to be better than the half an hour to get the boiler stoked on my current desktop to get onto the internet.

But what I have works, and I am a bit of a tightwad, so who knows...

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a Toshiba

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine bought an acer last year and it works very well. The keyboard is a little small but unless you have huge hands it is possible to touch type on it, If it was me I would buy a cheap keyboard for when I was using it at home. If you are an avid gamer I would forget it, they are quite quick but I doubt it would play ror.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just remember this you get what you pay for.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I recommend the Asus EEE series. I have the 900HA, but I don't think that one's available anymore. Not at Newegg, at least. It's an 8.9". I think that screen size is being phased out, and I think that's a shame. I think for the most part the minimum size is now 10".
Anyway, the EEE's are awesome, and the reviews at Newegg back it up. They come with XP and on mine, believe it or not, there was ZERO crapware to uninstall right out of the box. They are also very easy to upgrade. I have read that some on some of the Acer models, the HDD and RAM are hard to access. With the Asus, 4 screws and 1 minute later, I had 2GB RAM and a 320 GB HDD. :headbang:
Also with the EEE, there is a massive online community here:http://forum.eeeuser.com/ I love that forum, and it's 100% dedicated to all things EEE.
The Atom processor is actually pretty impressive. 1.60Ghz doesn't sound like much, but it's very efficient. I can actually do some processor intensive tasks with Photoshop 7 and some other photography software. Movies play flawlessly. I have heard that it does a good job with games (within reason) but I don't play PC games. It's overall a very quick machine, even before I added the extra gig of RAM and the 7200 rpm HDD.
I got mine in February and I haven't been able to put it down since then. I almost never actually turn it off, just standy when I'm not using it, so it's pretty durable.
I would at least consider Asus. Newegg has them for around $300.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can get a nice netbook from AT&T for $199. It will already have the 3G network card built I to it so you can use it on the go also.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine bought an acer last year and it works very well. The keyboard is a little small but unless you have huge hands it is possible to touch type on it, If it was me I would buy a cheap keyboard for when I was using it at home. If you are an avid gamer I would forget it, they are quite quick but I doubt it would play ror.
I didn't think it would be very good for RoR, but I had to try. My desktop is going on 5 1/2 years old, still runs like a champ but the ol' FX5200 graphics card is a bit oudated, I think :icon_rofl:

I'll have to do as I've been doing for computer gaming, go to my parents house and use theirs. I'd just like something that I could take out with me, or use when I'm watching the tube, my computer is in a bad position and I can't see the TV from it.

I've seen the ones through ATT, but I don't want to pay for a 3G plan with them, and I don't think 3G works here.

WONGO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Asus eee pc

I actually just bought an asus eee pc 1005ha from amazon and its awesome. I did a lot of research and its definitely the best out there for the price. Im at school now and i use it for everything, and is perfectly fast enough for video playback, internet browsing, and even running some of my programming applications. Plus it has a six cell battery that is rated for 7 hours. It was also rated the best netbook on cnet: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1005ha/4505-3121_7-33698873.html?tag=mncol;lst

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I recommend the 3 Subject spiral notebook by Mead! It comes in all sorts of colors and has excellent college rule paper filling the covers. :)

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 on the EEE 1000 series...I love mine. I upgraded to 2gb of ram before first boot and couldn't be happier

On a side note I see some of the older EEEPC models on woot.com for about $170 every so often.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
Cant remember the exact model number, but I have an Acer and I love it. Was $319.99 marked down to $299.99. With the computer, the 2g of ram upgrade, an external cd drive, and a 1 year protection plan I believe it was around $440 shipped to my door.

goodlife

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i'd keep an eye on slickdeals.net. good deals for netbooks pop up there every once in a while, and the people there can usually weigh out whether it's a good deal or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals