• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Regular or Shallow Mount Subs?

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey, does anybody know how a shallow mount sub sounds, Ive got a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab and im 6 ft 3 inches, and I don't think I have enough room to fit a regular mount 12 inch sub in the back. I wanna get a 12 inch sub whether it b a Pioneer, or a Kicker, or whatever. I also need a small box, but I still wanna get that deep booming bass sound. Does anybody know of any good shallow mount subs, if so what brand are they, and how do they sound? Do they sound anything like the regular mount subs, or do they not have the same kick as regulars? Any Help would be much apprieciated, Ive been wanting a system in my truck for so long, but Ive never had the time to do it, now I have alot of time on my hands to accomplish my goal of gettin the system, o and also, does one of those newer faceplates just bolt right on to the stock cd player, because I also need a new faceplate with an IPOD adapter, so I can listen to my IPOD, Is there anyway you can hook up an IPOD or a sub to the stock stereo system that comes with the truck, If there is a way of hooking up an amp and a sub to the stock stereo system, I won't have to but a new faceplate, which will save me precious money. Once again, any help from ya'll audo junkies out there would be much appriceated. Take Care.

DRAGGINASS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
ok well shallo mount subs are ok....but if i were you i would put a sound stream t5-15 behind the pass seat....but thats just me...lol if you have the room 4 a system an you want a deep sounding system dont do shallow mount...they just dont have the same deep sound...i have a reg cab an im 6-1'' an im goin 2 be putting a kicker L7 10'' in my truck so if i can fit it you deff can...trust me you wont be happy with shallow mount unless its the new ''JL'' audio TW5 13''..but then again thats an easy $600 just for the sub...but if have the money go ahead..lol

an the radio thing with keepin the stock headunit an puttin a system...yes you can keep it..they sell a adapter.that plugs into the rear speakers into your amp...an it only like 20 or 40 bucks....hope that helped you out...

P.S...if you have the room use it

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
youll need a line out convertor to add a amp to your stock stereo. not sure on what you can do about the ipod hookup.

imho, the only shallow subs even worth considering are the memphis s-class and the jl tw5's. otherwise id stick to conventional subs. since your worried about space, maybe a pair of 8's or 10's in a sealed box will suit you. a pair of sundown e8's only need about .3cf per sub sealed. or if you wanna save a little money but not sacrifice quality, a pair of jbl gto8's will do. they also only need about .3cf per sub sealed.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
think as subs as buying a laptop vs a desktop with a laptop you get portability but at a highr price a desktop you get better performance for the same price as a laptop also i think shallows are a water of money they are over priced with a good reg 80$ sub and a good amount of airspace you can kill a 150$ shallow

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since you have an ext cab you could definitely put a substage in with full size drivers... That being said, most prefab boxes won't fit how you want them to, but I wouldn't recommend that route anyway. Most 12's need about ~2 cubes before displacement, which fits easily behind the seats with a box thats made to fit there.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks DRAGGINASS. Ur advice was really helpful, i appriceate ur help man. I want that deep booming sound so im definetely not goin with any shallow mount subs. I kind of need to keep this system relativily cheap ($300 - $400 max) Do u think I culd fit a 12 inch Pioneer Premier 4 ohms subwwofer with a homemade box that contains 1.50 cubic ft of air space in the middle, I think the box is gonna be rectangular shaped, with the sub facing up towards the ceiling, or should I have the sub facing the front seats, or backwards? Does the way the sub sits affect the sound at all. Also, what type of wood do I need to buy in order to make a homemade sub box? As for an amp, Im thinkin about gettin a Boss 600.2 (1200 watts max power) (4 ohms) 2 channel amplifier to power my sub. Are Boss's any good, If not, what are sum good brands of amplifiers that rnt hard on the wallet?

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank ya'll all for ya'lls advice, ya'll are awsome, I appricieate all of this.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well wood for a 12 inch i would go with 3/4 mdf but you could get away with 5/8 im not a real big fan of the pioneer 12 but the 10 kicks ass kicker,jl,rockford thoes are the ones i would be getting subs from

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
So, u think I should go with Kickers? my buddy austin has an L7 in his car and it bumps hard as hell, but he told it was expensive. R Kickers expensive, or do they not have a hefty price tag. Like the 12 inch Pioneer Premier sub is gonna cost like $110.00 plus tax, Are there any 12 inch Kickers that cost about the same or lower, but bump harder than the Premiers?

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well im at school now so ima kinda limited to my internet serching but a good kicker would blow doors off

DRAGGINASS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 banger
Transmission
Manual
kicker is the way 2 go for sure...l7 can be pricey but they have went down on EBAY you can get an kicker L5 12'' for $130....l5's are realy good i had 2 12'' l5's in a car an it was realy loud over 135db with a small amp...or you can get kicker CVR 12s for $75 buck each i also had 2 of those in another car an there almost as loud as the l5..cvr just less watts with mite be better for you...''LESS MONEY'' ON AMP..so it up 2 you but i would do kicker. not the kicker COMPS thou..there cheep but dont sound all that hot.....CVR OR L5 OR L7.... hope this helped u out....later...zeke

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id how shollow you need it to be im 6 foot even and had a 15'' behind my drivers seat, i love kickers, there cvt sound just as good, there kickers flat sub, i have two in my truck, flat flat like 3 inche for the while sub is one thing but alot of subs only need 5ish inches or so, and there just "normal" subs, and can be had for 70-100 just for the subs, you have to go on line, and look at the specs.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yea, Im also at school too, Im also limited to my internet time on the computer. But yea, thanks guys for ya'll's help, I think im gonna probably end up goin with the Kicker subs, IDK which model im gonna get, Im probably gonna go all out and save up for the 12 inch Kicker L7. Once again, thanks for ya'll's input. Ya'll know the game, You take care of me, I'll take of you, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals