• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

replace heater core in 93 ranger

georgedwilson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone give me step by step directions on how to replace the hater core in my 93 ranger?:yahoo:

JeffWS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Drain the radiator.

Disconnect heater hoses.

Under dash at plenum assenbly, remove 4 screws for the access panel.

Remove core.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drain the radiator.

Disconnect heater hoses.

Under dash at plenum assenbly, remove 4 screws for the access panel.

Remove core.
it really is that easy btw

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Also, pulling the glove box out makes it a tad easier to remove the 4 screws. I haven't looked on my '94's, but on the 1st gen trucks all you had to do was open the box and squeeze the sides, then it just popped right out.

I've done this by flashlight in perhaps 20 minutes. The hardest thing about it is disconnecting the coolant hoses.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On my 93 ranger it took me a grand total of an hour to drive to checkers, buy the heater core, drive back and put it in... start to finish. 4 screws and 2 hoses. Easiset one i have ever seen in my life, couldn't believe it! Just right behind the glove box. If you pull the hoses off before you pull the cover off inside the heater core practically falls out by itself(at least for me it did). Toughest part was getting the hoses hooked back up good enough

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Resurrecting the Thread

Yah, I know this is over 6 years old. I am hoping that the heater core is this easy to replace. I just got a new core and some leftover hose from my heater core replacement for my C20. I will take a good look and maybe change it over this weekend. I suspect my old heater core was clogged. After I change the core and hoses, should I try flushing the engine? Or bring it somewhere to do that?

XLTbeater

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
if your new heater core comes with each end plugged, use those on your old core prior to removal, no spills. I changed out a friends heater core in his '94, he timed it .. seven minutes. on my 03 ranger it took seven hours

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It took a couple hours for me. I spent an hour trying to persuade the plastic screws off of the lower dash kick panel cloth. Only 2 of the 5 backed off; so I gave up and cut them off. Got the heater core out and replaced in 15 minutes; fire up the truck and coolant is pouring out from the top hose at the water pump. Tightened the crap outta the stainless hose (leftover from another heater core project) and waited for the truck to cool down so I could pop the radiator cap and try again. Been running good since. The old core looked good, but I think it's clogged. My temp gauge would spike and drop to "N" in normal and back again when driving. Now it doesn't do that. I will see if I can clean and flush the old core and see if I can reuse it.

I feared that this heater core would be like my Crown Vic as that involved dropping the steering column, pulling the entire dash, and finding all of the screws and nuts that hold the heater core box to the firewall. The manual said 5 nuts hold the box in, but they must have missed one or two as that sucker was still stuck to the firewall. After a day of that crap, I sent it to the mechanic, who couldn't figure it out either. So he cut a hole in the firewall and extracted it from there. Very annoying!!! And yeah, in the process, I must have severed a major vacuum line when pulling the dash as it hesitates and stumbles at lower rpms. When I pull the engine from that car, I will replace the line that I know I severed. I was saddened to read that the newer Rangers went back to that system of changing heater cores :(

XLTbeater

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I just finished a 96 Ranger dash swap into an 88 Ranger cab...once I figured out how it came off it was pretty simple...but it would take me a good couple of hours to remove the dash again...

When I finally got the heater hosed connected and was able to run the engine enough to burp the system...the first thing I noticed the next day was the distinct smell of coolant in the cab...so I checked everything over a few times...could not find any coolant leaking...yet...but I'm thinking it might have been from around the hoses attached to the heater core were not tight...hopefully!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I used to say the hardest part of the job was finding a bottle opener for your beer
if you choose to drink microbrews or imported beer...

Or spill your beer when the heater core literally falls out unexpectedly if you've been so short-sighted to leave your beer in the passenger side foot-well...

Of course this job is only "Easy" on 1983-1994. starting with the 1995 models the job becomes a royal Pain In The Ass...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals