• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing heads. Few questions...

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I thought the rear main seal was leaking, but turns out it was the lower intake. Also the head gaskets needed replacing. I decided to get a set of rebuilt heads and bought some new rocker arms, pushrods and gasket set.

Anyway, my questions:

Do you have to paint the heads? If so, how do you paint them in cold temps? Our garage is not heated and its not going to get to 50 degrees for a while and I want to get it back together.

What is the best way to clean the head gasket surfaces on the engine block? I started using a scraper and wire brush wheel on my drill, but I stopped and figured I better make sure I don't mess anything up. Also do you have to get every last bit of discolored stuff of the surface (like down to shiny metal)?

What if some of the small particles get down in the holes where the head goes? Should I flush the coolant system when I'm finished putting it back together, before I start it up?

Do I need to pour oil on the new rocker arms before I put the valve covers back on?

Any other tips anyone can offer would be great...

Thanks.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Never use a wire wheel to clean block surfaces - you can gouge the surface with that and create problems in the future with gasket sealing. Just use a straight edged scraper and then lightly clean with a scotchbrite pad. You can use a shopvac to pretty much get all particulate matter out of the bores / water passages. Definitely do a cooling system flush afterwards.

You don't have to paint the heads, but they will rust and if that's not good with you, just clean them well, leave them in the house for a few days to warm up then take them out and shoot the paint to them. Let them dry a little and then bring them back in to finish drying.

Do youself a favor and coat the tops of the pushrods and the pushrod cups in the rockers with moly break in grease. These are only splash oiled and dry starting them will lead to galling / excessive wear. It would be a good idea to pour a little oil on the rockers before buttoning it up.

Good luck with the build !!!

Bird

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals