• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

retro fitting mustang wheels help

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, my grandfather left me his 04 ranger in 2015 when he passed. I have taken very good care of it since, people say I shouldn’t be investing the money I have into it but it was his and I’ve been trying to make it last as long as I can

I am having it painted in 2 weeks, I’ve done a few upgrades, small things like LED head lights, new grill. Rebuilt the front end, water pump, timing chain, cam phaser. All routine maintenance stuff

I discovered this forum when looking for how to adapt mustang wheels on the 04 ranger

I am trying to figure out if these wheels will fit on my truck
I’ve seen on site a list of factory mustang wheels and the combo those guys have made to make it work

I was curious if anyone here could tell off the top of their head if the wheels would fit or rub? Would I need 1/4” spacers? And if I go with the spacers what exact lug nuts do I need to get?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you all

2004 ranger. 2wd, auto, ext cab, 3.0

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You will need a spacer/adapter of approximately 1" thickness to make those work. I have 1.25" adapters on mine.
2009RangerFX4.jpg

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
You will need a spacer/adapter of approximately 1" thickness to make those work. I have 1.25" adapters on mine.
View attachment 98846
thank you for responding! Do you happen to have a link to the exact same ones you bought? I wicked appreciate the response!

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve been making much progress in the introduction thread, I forgot I posted this here as well

I want to thank everyone for contributing, the info that was linked to me is incredible. I spent the whole afternoon reading the mustang adaption page.

so much info it’s incredible

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Another question I had, with 1.25” spacer/adapter, do I need to cut my factory studs?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On a 2wd truck with 94-04 Mustang offsets, spacers are typically only needed in cases where the Mustang wheel center bore is too small to clear the Ranger hub/dust cap. 7/16" or 1/2" are plenty thick to achieve that. Depending on specific wheel geometry, you may or may not be able to run a center cap in the front like that.

You'd only need a huge 1.25" adapter if you're using 05+ Mustang offsets, or perhaps if you have a 4wd with even larger spindle hub diameters (as rubydist does).

Aftermarket wheel fitment is hard to really pinpoint because little things tend to vary a lot between manufacturers. I always just try the wheels on my vehicle first before I worry myself with spacers, extended lugs, etc. You might get lucky and not need any spacers at all.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The wheels he has linked aren't OE mustang wheels..

He's gonna have to get under the truck with a tape measure and figure things out. Much wider than stock, staggered, and lots of backspacing

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Guys, first off I can’t thank you enough for chiming and and helping

little update, I talked to Truman at LMR just now. I am going to order one 18x9, throw that on and see if I can clear everything

if it doesn’t work then I’ll turn this one wheel into a table or something..

With it being a 9” wheel and almost 6” back space I’m thinking I’m probably going to need to add a spacer

but like Blmpkn said, I won’t know until I have them one in hand
Would still like to get everyone’s opinion on what brand spacer to buy. I don’t really want something cheap

I just looked at DJMs 2/3 lowering kit with shocks, I need shocks anyway..so it’s a good excuse to drop the truck at the same time right? ;)

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Fooling around with some math…

the 18x9 has a 5.9 back space.. which gives me a 3.1 front space

factory 15x 7 wheels I have on the truck now when I measure come up with a 4” front space

if I add a 1 inch adapter it should bring the wheel out to almost the factory front face.. just curious if that now 5” back space will have clearance

again.. won’t be able to tell until I have this wheel in hand

having too much fun thinking..

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wheels @ParanoidSVT is looking at aren't that bad...they have 22mm (f)/25mm (r) offset. So, 25mm (aka 1" adapters) puts track back where Ford engineers designed it (more/less)

He'd want adapter (even though same pattern) as 25mm is too deep even for extended length studs.
Bolt the adapter to the existing studs (loctite blue to ensure they don't back off). Then, the studs in the adapter bolt on the wheels.​
Note: if only using 1" adapters, make absolute sure that the rim is "seated" on the adapter, not resting on the original studs (bad things happed when rims aren't on the adapters). You can check this with straight edge after bolting the adapter in place - in the stud extend past, they need to be trimmed (aka ground down).​
If you go with a little thicker adapters, you don't need to worry about the studs as much.​

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Don't order the wheel.

Crawl under the truck with a tape measure and see if it will work for yourself. It's super simple as long as you know the current wheels width and backspacing.

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
The wheels @ParanoidSVT is looking at aren't that bad...they have 22mm (f)/25mm (r) offset. So, 25mm (aka 1" adapters) puts track back where Ford engineers designed it (more/less)

He'd want adapter (even though same pattern) as 25mm is too deep even for extended length studs.
Bolt the adapter to the existing studs (loctite blue to ensure they don't back off). Then, the studs in the adapter bolt on the wheels.​
Note: if only using 1" adapters, make absolute sure that the rim is "seated" on the adapter, not resting on the original studs (bad things happed when rims aren't on the adapters). You can check this with straight edge after bolting the adapter in place - in the stud extend past, they need to be trimmed (aka ground down).​
If you go with a little thicker adapters, you don't need to worry about the studs as much.​
thank you for taking the time and explaining! Sounds like 1.25 may be the way to go…

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Don't order the wheel.

Crawl under the truck with a tape measure and see if it will work for yourself. It's super simple as long as you know the current wheels width and backspacing.
do you know of a YouTube video visually explaining what must be done with the tape measure? I have all the specs of the wheel

diameter 18”
Width 9”
Bolt circle 5x114mm
Off set +22mm
Back space 5.9”
Center bore 70.6mm

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Blmpkn, I found this interesting

I didn’t even think of the “front” brake surface clearance….

ParanoidSVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Omg, this is perfect for me. At the end he shows how he does it with a welding rod…

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals