• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ROCK AUTO

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I have. I think that a lot, if not most, of us here have.

You do have to figure in shipping charges in getting parts from RA when you're comparing prices.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have. I think that a lot, if not most, of us here have.

You do have to figure in shipping charges in getting parts from RA when you're comparing prices.
Recommend any other sites? Should I feel bad about ordering things from Amazon?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I've used LMC Truck in the past, as well as eBay.

I've never done the Amazon thing.

I live so far back in the boonies that that UPS and FedEx delivery really, really sucks.

Fortunately I have good indepentant old-school parts store close by that'll work with me, so that's my preferred "go to" for parts. It's usually only a few bucks more ordering something over the internet, and the good service is worth it.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've used LMC Truck in the past, as well as eBay.

I've never done the Amazon thing.

I live so far back in the boonies that that UPS and FedEx delivery really, really sucks.

Fortunately I have good indepentant old-school parts store close by that'll work with me, so that's my preferred "go to" for parts. It's usually only a few bucks more ordering something over the internet, and the good service is worth it.
I'm a loyal shopper. I like to go one place and if they don't have it, I'm willing to wait. That's mostly for independent places. Bigger chains... sometimes because well there's no choice at that point. Lol.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Rockauto is AWESOME, as they generally have literally every single little piece a vehicle is made up of in 12 different brands..

However.. their shipping isn't exactly cheap, especially if your order consists of items that need to come from multiple warehouses.. and I've heard time and time again their returns process is a nightmare and they have so-so customer service. They do send little beer-fridge magnets with each order that has a picture of someone's restored vehicle 'using rockauto parts' though.. so that's fun.

I don't believe ive ordered parts from Amazon.. but.. I HAVE ordered an easy 10k+ dollars worth of parts from ebay.. and have no plans on stopping.

In my experience, everything is usually the cheapest it can be had for on ebay.. most times by a meaningful amount.. most times with free shipping.. and lots of time with free return labels.

Just got a ebay order in the other day for my 96 actually.. new valance panel, new tail lights, oil filter, and a valve cover/intake gasket set.. same brands as what I had in my cart on RA but a few bucks cheaper and the shipping was quicker 👍

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Recommend any other sites? Should I feel bad about ordering things from Amazon?
Only issue with amazon ive found are some of the parts are of very...very...inferior quality.

Think autozones valucraft line thats been dropped 15 stories into a fire inferior.

If you buy name brand shit on crapazon its juat as much as anywhere else.

Rock auto is fine...but you figure in shipping its usually about as pricy as going to a regular parts store

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My first choice is Summit racing because their customer support is great. I've used Rock with few problems but they don't measure up to Summit. When I had a problem it was hard to get a person to talk to and they weren't very knowledgeable but they did credit me for the defective part. I've also used LMC Truck and would recommend them as well. I've had poor luck with Autozone because their countermen are poorly trained. Locally, our Napa is my first stop.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I used RA for awhile, but after I got screwed on a couple orders with them (wrong parts, damaged parts, defective parts, and mislabeled parts) which ended up with me having a couple hundred tied up in parts I can’t use, I had enough of that. If I literally can’t find it anywhere else, I’ll order from RA, but that’s about it. Summit Racing, Amazon, EBay and some other online places like Jegs get my money now. And for average parts I got myself a commercial account at Autozone. I own my own construction business which sounds a lot more than it is since I’m a one man show, but that’s enough to get me a commercial account, which means I get some discounts but more importantly (since the discounts usually aren’t much), they deliver my parts. So I can make a phone call and usually within an hour or so, someone shows up with my parts. That’s tough to beat. Any problems are usually resolved in hours with another phone call and delivery. Plus I don’t talk with the dumb counter help anymore. Oh, and I’m conveniently an hour away from a Summit, actually their headquarters, so that’s been a big positive too.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
for my 96
Did not know you had '96 cool more info?

Autozone if it's name brand, for instance Bosch, can be ok, or for tool if it's not critical thing you use all the time if it is get the waranteed one, if at all. Harbor Freight also about the tools/accessories.
Rock Auto good, but they don't have some things (usually they do). True, shipping can be a big hit if you get 3 things and they all come from different places which I don't think you can know beforehand. I've had good luck emailing Customer Service there. Amazon -can- be ok but make sure it's exactly the thing you are trying to get. Ebay good, really haven't had any significant problems there. Summit is fine, tends to be high end from what I see but sometimes you have to go there.
NAPA fine as always but a lot of stuff they don't have and will be in some cases basically 2x what you can get the same thing elsewhere (I mean exact same thing). But if they have it in stock and you need it right away, they're a possible. O'Reilly can have some stuff.
Ebay/Amazon make sure it says returns ok.
There are junkyards, again just depends what it is, but I got a real nice replacement seat belt for the Mazda and cleaned it up and it's like new.

Lots of times people here will know where you can get something if you can't find it.

And lastly if you really can't find it, which can happen, post here in Parts Wanted. However watch out because I *think* there are scams where people look in forums and reply to posts looking for parts, usually in DM and say "My friend xxx@xx.com has this part" so you write them and they're like yes I have it then you send money, probably more than it should cost but you're desperate so you do it, then they say the shipping was way more than they thought, send more (I didn't) then they never send the part. Ask me how I know this. And whatever you do unless you know who you are dealing with don't Paypal "friends and family" because you can't get it back. I didn't send it that way because I didn't know wtf they were talking about.

On the other hand if the seller is somebody actually on here and especially if they are frequent poster and are well known, you're probably ok.

F/F is something I just learned about. Luckily Paypal refunded my money in 2 seconds when I told them I never got the part. And I did get it finally from a guy on here and had zero issues so I guess the lesson is deal with people you know and/or don't send F/F until you establish a relationship. Something like that.

If you know the seller then F/F is better for them because they net more of it so just because somebody says can you send F/F it doesn't mean it's a scam. But if you are trying to deal with somebody "off the books" (not a forum member and all you have is an unknown email) - be careful.

I guess even though I never had to do anything really major, I've dealt with a lot of places. A lot of times people on here know where you can get something that you can't find and can point you to the correct part and supplier and that's really valuable info, so when in doubt, ask here.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Did not know you had '96 cool more info?
Yeap! 2 door stepside, 2.3, 2wd, 5 speed with 218k miles. It's halfway to 'rough'.. but worth saving. Bought it a couple hours north for 1500$

Picked it up a little over a month ago to act as my winter beater. Even though I had the Bronco rust proofed with NHOU.. I really didn't want to drive it through the salt/calcium hell all winter. I like it way too much.

Unfortunately.. seems as If it's going to be driven through all that shit anyways, which is making me EXREMELY DISPLEASED 🤬🤬.

If I try to think about it with my glass half full though.. rather than a broken glass smashed on the floor.. it means I can drive the fiances focus ST this winter and not have to subject my antique truck to all that mess 🤷‍♀️ still not happy. Reeeeeeeally reeeeeeeeeeeally unhappy. She's lucky she's cute.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Rock Auto good, but they don't have some things (usually they do). True, shipping can be a big hit if you get 3 things and they all come from different places which I don't think you can know beforehand.
On RA you can put items in a shopping cart and it will then let you enter a ZIP code, and you can see what the shipping charges are, and it also shows the shipping locations as "A", "B", and so on.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would generally advise against amazon for auto parts. You can find some good stuff on there but you have the be careful.

Rock Auto has been generally cheaper for me compared to the local auto parts stores, even after shipping costs but that may vary based on where you live.

LMC and Summit are good suggestions and ebay can be a good deal but pay attention the the seller’s rating. If they have a poor rating, shop another seller.

Jim has a store on here and links to things that he sells as part of his business in the forum section. To support the forum, you might want the check these first. Forums tend to not be self supporting, even with adds and membership subscriptions. So anything you can throw his way helps.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
20231028_232411.jpg

Yep I have used RA a few times since 2008.
My experience has been good, but as mentioned you have to really watch your shipping costs when ordering multiple items. I try to keep it down to 2 shipping routes if I can.

For other parts I have used Amazon ( be carefully and know what you are getting and really look at warranty and returns.. I am stuck with a Moog wheel hub bearing assembly for my Buick with a failed abs sensor after 2 month.. no way to return or warranty it out.)
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard for a 4wd spindle. Pretty pleased with part quality and service.

Parts geek. Another good aftermarket dealer, not as cheap and not as many parts, but sometimes they have stuff that RA does not have.

In all, every time I compare parts from RA against Amazon (same part number) in a multi part order, RA has always been cheaper, even with 3 different shipping locations. And we have Prime.

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals