• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The trick with the tarp is to make sure it doesn't end past the perimeter of the tent. For the Gazelles, there is an optional tarp that they call the "footprint". It's the same size as the tent and even has loops to be staked in place. I use it to protect the floor from punctures if I miss picking up a twig or stone. Haven't had any real issues with mud. It's dirty on one side. But nothing terrible.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I saw one of those awhile ago that was in a newer (98-11) longbed Ranger that was tempting.

I mulled it but I had a hard to committing my truck that hard to it. My truck is pretty versatile how it is, I don't know if that style of topper would help it do much more than "overland" which I only do once or twice a year. I have heard that style of door is supposed to be best for keeping dust out though.
It would be a tough deal to sleep in. My buddy has a big high top topper on his Duramax and said that it's very uncomfortable for two people. One is tight. And that's on a full size truck.

Definitely not good at keeping dust out, our service truck sees a lot of gravel roads and it's dusty AF inside there. I put all new weather stripping on it when I got it too. Normal topper is way better.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I always put a tarp under my tent. Keeps the moisture from wicking up through the floor and soaking everything. Even with a brand new tent I've seen this issue.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I've started using a camping rug under our tents the past few years with a tarp on top. It gives about a 1/2 inch of clearance under the tarp and some added padding to protect the bottom from small stones and tigs.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i like the rtt. but if only using one vehicle i think i will use ground based tiny tents short term....or a giant family tent for more then 4 days.

bad thing about limited space vehicles. its the reason i want to build a self contained bus. the money i could save over hotel rooms could pay for it in a year of normal work and then i would have it for adventure camping.....

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
i like the rtt. but if only using one vehicle i think i will use ground based tiny tents short term....or a giant family tent for more then 4 days.

bad thing about limited space vehicles. its the reason i want to build a self contained bus. the money i could save over hotel rooms could pay for it in a year of normal work and then i would have it for adventure camping.....
I work about 100 miles from home. For the last 4 years I've lived in my pickup slide in camper. It is way cheaper. The camper has saved me a ton of money. Its the best $2000 bucks ive ever spent. lol I want to get a new one that fits my super duty better. But the wife keeps shooting me down. I'm about to tell her to just deal with it, I've got my use out of this camper and if i'm going to stay at this job another year. I want something nicer. Everyone at the mine calls me the homeless guy. I just drive up the road, up in the mountains and sleep. I only work 6 months out of the year with this rotation schedule. Its interesting. I call it my nomad life. lol

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I work about 100 miles from home. For the last 4 years I've lived in my pickup slide in camper. It is way cheaper. The camper has saved me a ton of money. Its the best $2000 bucks ive ever spent. lol I want to get a new one that fits my super duty better. But the wife keeps shooting me down. I'm about to tell her to just deal with it, I've got my use out of this camper and if i'm going to stay at this job another year. I want something nicer. Everyone at the mine calls me the homeless guy. I just drive up the road, up in the mountains and sleep. I only work 6 months out of the year with this rotation schedule. Its interesting. I call it my nomad life. lol

the reason i dont like camping is living out of my ranger for so many years........(oil field) roofing....storm chasing...always on the road.

i have spent 25 k this year staying mostly in shithole motels to keep costs down. but i range a wide area and even a bus is not compatible when i am short tripping. BUT....our youngest has completed high school....and once my youngest grandchild is going along well...my wife can be out with me...which makes moving the rig logistically easier and will put quite a bit more money in our ability to procure property. i should have built something by now just for wheeling...just cant ever chunk it out in cash....always some bullshit going on.

that said buying a bus and strategically located plots of land for 60-70k should be even money in two years. the hvac system and solar/water generation are about 30k....so 3-4 years for something that runs itself for 12-15 seems a good idea at my age.

the bonus...is being able to more likely participate and to go to events like trs activities and sema and moab....

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I was on the road, I would probably spend $40k a year on hotels. Billable expense, so stayed at Holiday Inns.

Was flying to a different state every two/ three days. Not so conducive to camping.

Lot more expensive now. My guys are probably getting close to twice that. People want to know why we’re so expensive.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have both. I have a Smittybilt Overlander XL and a Gazelle T3X Overland Edition. I use both.

For next years Vagabond trip I plan on having my RTT on my truck and using that. It’s quick to set up and break down. I don’t need to worry about finding an level area to set the tent up (just the truck). I don’t need to worry about finding a dry area. I don’t need to worry about an air mattress or a sleeping pad. I don’t need to pack up my pillow or blankets (or sleeping bag).
I think it’s the right choice for that type of trip.

For the LBL portion of the trip, I plan on using my Gazelle ground tent. I’ll have a “base camp” to come back to. I won’t need to break down camp everyday. I won’t need to find a new, dry area to set up. The ground tent makes more sense in that case.
That sounds like a smart plan. It's my undetstanding thatl the Gazelle tents take up more storage space than my old tent.

How do you like the T3? I've read that the T3 doesn't offer much space for 2-people.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That sounds like a smart plan. It's my undetstanding thatl the Gazelle tents take up more storage space than my old tent.

How do you like the T3? I've read that the T3 doesn't offer much space for 2-people.
It’s just a little short. You can’t quite stand up fully.
It will fit a queen size air mattress with about a 2’ by tent width area left inside.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I just bought a kamp rite tent cot. Only works when solo camping... but the wife isn't planning on overlanding with me. Easy up and down... no air mattress to fool with... no ladders in the middle of the nite. To me it made sense...

View attachment 101664
i don't go camping but back when i did, i wish i had one of these. we slept with our bags on the ground, no mat or air bed. it was rough sometimes.

my only other camping:
the army only gave us half a pup tent so you had ot find someone else to make a complete tent. we always ended up just sleeping under the trucks or if it was cold/rainy, we put up a gp medium so everyone could camp together. neither was fun but we didn't get the cool crap the army has now, one man quick up tents and mats. i wouldn't have minded army camping so much back in the 90s if we had that stuff back then

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the army only gave us half a pup tent

What half?

Like one guy got the sticks and one guy got the canvas tarp?

You guys spoon or sleep heads to toes in those?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
What half?

Like one guy got the sticks and one guy got the canvas tarp?

You guys spoon or sleep heads to toes in those?
No. The canvas was split lengthwise. The 2 halves buttoned together, if I recall correctly. My dad had both halves when I was little. My brother and I liked to sleep out in the back yard in it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No. The canvas was split lengthwise. The 2 halves buttoned together, if I recall correctly. My dad had both halves when I was little. My brother and I liked to sleep out in the back yard in it.
This^^^

As far as poles, I’m not sure who got what on that or if they just improvised with sticks.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
This^^^

As far as poles, I’m not sure who got what on that or if they just improvised with sticks.
Maybe each half had a pole. I remember there just being 2 upright wooden poles. Each pole was in 2 pieces. I think the stakes were wooden for the one dad had. (1960's-1970's)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals