• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough Country Kit with Alcoas

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Howdy, I was wondering if anybody knew if the 5” Rough Country lift kit would work with the 15” Alcoa’s that came on Fx4’s. The kit calls for 17” wheels but I’ve read people using 16” wheels and it just comes down to the backspacing.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Those Alcoa wheels have a 4.5 inch BS... I don't have experience with that lift but my gut says they probably wouldn't fit.

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those Alcoa wheels have a 4.5 inch BS... I don't have experience with that lift but my gut says they probably wouldn't fit.
That’s what I’ve been thinking. Guess I’m going with the super lifts kit for sure now. Thanks

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those won't fit 15s. Rough country lift is setup for the later 12" brake rotors which I think need the 16s for clearance. I don't know why 17s would be required since Rangers and Explorers that came with the 12" rotors also came with 16" wheels. Maybe it's for knuckle clearance instead of brake clearance?

IIRC the Superlift knuckles have an extra set of caliper mount holes so they can use either rotor diameter. That's why the superlift kit can get away with the 15s.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those won't fit 15s. Rough country lift is setup for the later 12" brake rotors which I think need the 16s for clearance. I don't know why 17s would be required since Rangers and Explorers that came with the 12" rotors also came with 16" wheels. Maybe it's for knuckle clearance instead of brake clearance?

IIRC the Superlift knuckles have an extra set of caliper mount holes so they can use either rotor diameter. That's why the superlift kit can get away with the 15s.
You can use 15" rims with the 12" brakes but they have to be certain 15" wheels. Some of the 2010s and 2011s came with 15" wheels and have the 12" brakes. But people have had problems with caliper clearance because the inside of the wheel face that is facing the brakes was contoured wrong for that application.

@01WHTRNGR I do seem to remember a thread, not that long ago, discussing this very subject but perhaps a different kit brand. There was something about the kit that caused a problem but I don't remember what. I do seem to recall that some where able to use 16" rims successfully.

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can use 15" rims with the 12" brakes but they have to be certain 15" wheels. Some of the 2010s and 2011s came with 15" wheels and have the 12" brakes. But people have had problems with caliper clearance because the inside of the wheel face that is facing the brakes was contoured wrong for that application.

@01WHTRNGR I do seem to remember a thread, not that long ago, discussing this very subject but perhaps a different kit brand. There was something about the kit that caused a problem but I don't remember what. I do seem to recall that some where able to use 16" rims successfully.
I think I’m just going run with the superlifts kit. I can’t see myself regretting the 1” difference not getting the rough country.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals