• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

running a little hot in idle

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I agree! And I'm NOT trying to argue...except just a little bit... My question to BOB was SO WHAT? If both do take the heat out and the engine doesn't overheat..SO WHAT? All the engineer graphs show EG doesn't capture the same amount of heat...SO WHAT? It works fine in Texas and also on the Arab desert..
My point is the graph may be correct...to a point. But that point isn't reached in Texas or the Arab desert. as a coolant in lots and lots of vehicle engines pure EG works fine. I am testifying to this fact.
Now get me somebody that will testify to the opposite..other than a chart made by folks nobody knows.

I have only heard of one engine that froze and busted with pure EG in it...and that guy was in Alaska. He was on a Jeep site where I hang quite a bit.

In fact using pure EG one doesn't even need a pressure cap. The stuff doesn't boil until bout 450* is reached.. So you may lose an engine but you would KEEP the coolant.. Funny thought ain't it?

Just a guess but I'm thinking maybe my thermostat opens just a small amount wider to allow more flow than it would with straight water in the system.

Big JIm :derisive:
Big Jim, do you have an accurate temp gauge to know how hot your engine is running? If you don't, than you don't know what kind of job the 100% EG is doing. And as I previously mentioned, if the coolant is runing hotter than it should, then this is harder on your engine oil, and ATF, if you have an automatic.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I agree! And I'm NOT trying to argue...except just a little bit... My question to BOB was SO WHAT? If both do take the heat out and the engine doesn't overheat..SO WHAT? All the engineer graphs show EG doesn't capture the same amount of heat...SO WHAT? It works fine in Texas and also on the Arab desert..
My point is the graph may be correct...to a point. But that point isn't reached in Texas or the Arab desert. as a coolant in lots and lots of vehicle engines pure EG works fine. I am testifying to this fact.
Now get me somebody that will testify to the opposite..other than a chart made by folks nobody knows.

I have only heard of one engine that froze and busted with pure EG in it...and that guy was in Alaska. He was on a Jeep site where I hang quite a bit.

In fact using pure EG one doesn't even need a pressure cap. The stuff doesn't boil until bout 450* is reached.. So you may lose an engine but you would KEEP the coolant.. Funny thought ain't it?

Just a guess but I'm thinking maybe my thermostat opens just a small amount wider to allow more flow than it would with straight water in the system.

Big JIm :derisive:
Jim, do you have an accurate temp gauge to know how hot your engine is running? If you don't, than you don't know what kind of job the 100% EG is doing. And as I previously mentioned, if the coolant is runing hotter than it should, then this is harder on your engine oil, and ATF, if you have an automatic. And, there is no advantage to running 100% EG.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big Jim, do you have an accurate temp gauge to know how hot your engine is running? If you don't, than you don't know what kind of job the 100% EG is doing. And as I previously mentioned, if the coolant is runing hotter than it should, then this is harder on your engine oil, and ATF, if you have an automatic.
I picked up some mecanical Equus temp and a oil pressure gauges at Wally World for $10 each and they work great. My stock gauge always read warm (on the high side of the N of NORM), my mechanical gauge reads 190 on the nose. I definatly recommend one, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the picture as to exactly what is going on, the stock gauges have a lot of fudge factor built into them.

Oil pressure was always on M of NORM before, now I know it has about 45 psi cold and a shy 20 warm at idle, the stupid thing must be in better shape than it lets on...

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jim, do you have an accurate temp gauge to know how hot your engine is running? If you don't, than you don't know what kind of job the 100% EG is doing. And as I previously mentioned, if the coolant is runing hotter than it should, then this is harder on your engine oil, and ATF, if you have an automatic. And, there is no advantage to running 100% EG.
Bob The engine is running the Temp that the thremostat TELLS it to run at. The temp sender is in the coolant and therefore tells the gauge what the temp of the coolant is. Once the coolant gets to the predetermined temp the thermostat opens and adjusts itself to keep the temp at THAT temp.

My understanding of the difference between pristine water and EG is that the water doesn't get saturated with heat just like the EG doesn't. In effect they both take the needed amount of heat out of the engine. Like most engineer graphs the EG graph takes the worst or most case and speaks of only that. As I sit here Nobody has said what the amount of saturation is in an actual engine.. cept maybe me.

So if pristine water is only using 1/2 of it's saturation ability in an engine... doesn't this mean EG is using 3/4's of it's ability? So both are seemingly equal to the task?

Big Jim :wub:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bob The engine is running the Temp that the thremostat TELLS it to run at. The temp sender is in the coolant and therefore tells the gauge what the temp of the coolant is. Once the coolant gets to the predetermined temp the thermostat opens and adjusts itself to keep the temp at THAT temp.
:

Big Jim, you didn't answer the question....do you have an accurate temp gauge?

What do you think the advantage of running 100% EG is? I don't buy the water pump tale, because I've always run 50% EG and 50% distilled water, and I've never had a water pump failure! Besides, the coolant only lubricates the water pump when the seal goes bad, and the coolant gets into the bearing. But, by this point, it will be seeping out the weep hole too.....

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bob I've run EG in many vehicles that I installed aftermarket temp gauges in.. Never saw any difference between before and after using EG.

I don't understand the question since the coolant MUST reach the temp required by the thermostat and then it stays near that temp or the thermostat changes it's opening to keep the coolant temp where it WANTS it. Shouldn't matter if the engine was running coffee, tea, motor oil or mothers milk!

By the way...my diesel Bobcat runs 40W motor oil thru it's cooling system...I wonder how that stuff compares to pristine water?

But NO, at this time I am running EG in my Ranger with factory gauges. Runs good too.
Big Jim

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be neat to see.. a graph showing the heat capture rate between 40W and EG..

My Bobcat doesn't seem to mind having the motor oil in it's coolant jackets.. It is a different system. The engine motor oil goes from the oil pan into the radiator and back to the entire engine both oiling the bearings and cooling in the cooling passages.

Sorry but this is the first time this has come to mind. Could the 40W be a better coolant than EG?

Big JIm

shizzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how does the radiator look like inside? have you done a coolant flush or in the least a drain and fill? I agree with if its not dropping fluid, its still "OK" but a partially clogged radiator or crappy coolant might not be helping the situation.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be neat to see.. a graph showing the heat capture rate between 40W and EG..

My Bobcat doesn't seem to mind having the motor oil in it's coolant jackets.. It is a different system. The engine motor oil goes from the oil pan into the radiator and back to the entire engine both oiling the bearings and cooling in the cooling passages.

Sorry but this is the first time this has come to mind. Could the 40W be a better coolant than EG?

Big JIm
It would eliminate the risk of coolant getting in the oil though a bad headgasket, but is flamable in case of a leak (blown hose).

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
What do you think the advantage of running 100% EG is? I don't buy the water pump tale, because I've always run 50% EG and 50% distilled water, and I've never had a water pump failure! Besides, the coolant only lubricates the water pump when the seal goes bad, and the coolant gets into the bearing. But, by this point, it will be seeping out the weep hole too.....
I think that's Jim's point, i.e. it's WATER that degrades seals, while EG keeps 'em "armor-all'd" and supple.

Having just swapped out my rad and heater hoses, I'd be curious to see what Jim's look like after X years and Y miles of passing pure EG under pressure... less degraded than 50/50 mix? Probably don't get the galvanic "EC Discharge" action on the rubber when there's zero aqua in there...?

Pretty sure ALL the metals in the loop are happier with no water.

How long does Big Jim go between pure EG changes, and what COLOR is it when he does?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Big JIm
Remember I mentioned in an earlier post about the coolant cooling the oil?
This is generally the case, except with my Mercedes diesel that has a separate oil cooler that oil is pumped through. Mercedes also puts an oil jet under each piston that sprays oil on the bottom side of the pistons to cool them off. Maybe Bobcat figured they could cool the oil directly. I don't know how the heat properties of 40W compare to EG, or pure water.

Do you have a OBD-II scanner? If so, you can see what the ECT thinks the
coolant temp is.

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that's Jim's point, i.e. it's WATER that degrades seals, while EG keeps 'em "armor-all'd" and supple.

Having just swapped out my rad and heater hoses, I'd be curious to see what Jim's look like after X years and Y miles of passing pure EG under pressure... less degraded than 50/50 mix? Probably don't get the galvanic "EC Discharge" action on the rubber when there's zero aqua in there...?

Pretty sure ALL the metals in the loop are happier with no water.

How long does Big Jim go between pure EG changes, and what COLOR is it when he does?
Howdy Fix I had a 70 Scout for 9 years... All the time it had the same EG in it.
After bout 7 or 8 years I blew a piston and had to take it apart. At that time the EG was a clear original green. I beat a new piston back in her and put her back together with the SAME EG I had taken out. When I got rid of her she had all the original hoses and coolant pump.
I am a cautious person bout my thermostats and I betcha I had changed that out while I owned her.. But nothing else.
Big JIm:derisive:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Well I just went 9+ years on whatever coolant was loaded in my 3.0 Vulcan at the Twin Cities plant back when... BAD idea... 'twas UUUUGLY... seems to have flushed fine, but...

... (replaced all hoses too) ... while the various ALUMINUM nipples were pristine, the STEEL nipples were crusty, on the outside barb area, where fluid stagnates... cleaned 'em up with 320 wet/dry (which I doubt a shop would bother to do), but it's got me thinking about what was going on inside the cast iron... :shok: oh well, she still seems to be free-flowin' and coooool-runnin'!

Still not ready to go pure EG... but I see the attraction.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WHAT? No remarks bout how BAD running 40W in a coolant system is? How pristine water is better? Can't find someone elses work on the subject..hih?
Big JIm

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WHAT? No remarks bout how BAD running 40W in a coolant system is? How pristine water is better? Can't find someone elses work on the subject..hih?
Big JIm
It was designed that way, much like your truck is designed to run with a 50/50 mix.

Your vehicle was factory-filled with a 50/50 engine coolant and water concentration. If the concentration of coolant falls below 40% or above 60%, engine parts could become damaged or not work properly. A 50-50 mixture of coolant and water provides the following:

- Freeze protection down to -34 degrees F
-Boiling protection up to 265 degrees F
-Protection against rust and other forms of corrosion
-Enables calibrated gauges to work properly
2002 Ford F-150 owners manual page 258, I bet it is in just about every other vehicle's owners manual too. Sounds like you should call up Ford and let them know that the secret is out and that they have been lying about what to use for coolant for decades.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals