• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running Wires for Roof Lights

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats up guys!

I used to be a pretty frequent TRS visitor, but I've not been on much in the past year due to priorities getting in the way... (school/work/girlfriend) :D

But as you all know, winter time is coming, which means I need to find something new to do to my Bronco!

I've been wanting to build a roof rack to install some aux backup lights, and a bunch of HID Hella driving lights... I've already got two HID Hellas in my grille, and my alternator can just barely take that, so I'm looking into a GM 1 wire conversion or an uprated stock alt.

My question is, how are you guys that have roof lights running your power wires? I'm a little picky about my Bronco, and I'm hesitant to go drilling holes in my roof. Anyone done something different? If you drilled a hole, how did you keep it from leaking?

My best idea at this point is to just run the power wire under the body, hide it in the jamb on the back hatch, and then ground the lights to the roof rack mounting bolts. (will be using the stock BII roof rack bolts)

The plan is to be able to power 6x 55w HID driving lights, and two 55w Halogen backup/aux work lights. Thats 4.5amps apiece, rounded to 5 and I'll need at least 6 gauge wire to handle the 40 amp load...

So if you've wired up some lights on your roof, post up some pics of how you ran the wire!! :)

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
For my rollbar lights i used the 3rd brake light. remove the light, run wires over the headliner then out the stock hole. I then put replaced the light housing and ran a bead of clear silicone around it to keep from leaking. May not work that way on a BII but my food for thought.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For my rollbar lights i used the 3rd brake light. remove the light, run wires over the headliner then out the stock hole. I then put replaced the light housing and ran a bead of clear silicone around it to keep from leaking. May not work that way on a BII but my food for thought.
Thats a great idea, but unfortunately I don't have a 3rd brake light on the BII. :(

Sounds like I may just be stuck drilling a hole! I hate to do that though!

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I to am pondering the roof rack idea!

My mom had a B2 back in the day.. I think there are some rubber plugs in the top of the rear hatch jamb?... Yes there is a set of wires up there already! Just copy those and then notch the hatch alitte next to a hinge so you don't smash the wires.

As for sealing... SILICONE.. she will be your new friend! :icon_rofl:

I was going to search the boat shops for a nice rubber boot if I had to go through the roof.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals