• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RUTHs "home brewed" doubler

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
title says it all.... with 42's and 538 gears my rig drives as if it was stock... but in the rocks, Doubler is needed badly... started on this a while ago, just thought id share some pics.

first off, took care of the major problem right away... Had Dutchman machine this for me, Coast was $400 :( but im hoping to have no problems with it.. no cutting and welding or trying to press two shafts etc together like i have read or seen done..

more to come... GF has to go grocery shopping right this min...WTF

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
D&D machine (RRORC) has a doubler kit, one piece chromoly shaft and plate for just a lil more then what you paid for the shaft alone! But, in the spirit of awesome home fab, Git R Done!

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thought he wasn't making theses anymore?? and i wish mine was that short, but they currently weren't set up to make the splines that are for the t case internals, so had them cut down and re-spline the stock shaft and it should be very strong, i had two built, my buddy dain already got his in as he is super motivated lol and with 42" iroks he has had no probs yet

but still ill be proud to say i built the adapter, cut all the parts, drilled all the holes etc you know.. although it is longer that i prefer, it is what it is at this point, and at 22 and a low payin job, i do what i can lol

the fun of taking it apart :headbang:

no pics of cutting the case but here it is

and the start of the adapter, yes its steel, be a little heavy but at least it is low CG wait, not like a spare tire or something mounted on the roof:icon_confused:

goint to weld the two together with a round piece between teh two... ill get more pics, hopefully in the next day or two...

also have to get all the shifting mechanism setup, shorten shaft etc

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o wow... sorry the pics are ginormous lol

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Looks good! The only downside to the traditional BW-BW doubler is lack of ability to twinstick. Any thoughts towards a D20/Np205? (I may have argued differently before, but I have seen the light, lol)

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interested in one of these for a winter project would really help in rough stuff.I have all the stuff for a traditional but if that shaft breaks you'll have to winch your way off the road and catch a ride with your friends.

Can you have long term success with smaller tires and the press together. If you pay for the good shaft is that the only weak spot.Thanks for your effort interested to see how this goes.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
bump for updates

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals