• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sas fron leaf spring chevy 52" questions

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok guys, im stuck. been searching for months and havent found the info im looking for.

everyone runs the 44044 leafs which i didnt want to do because i figured that chevy 52s would have more travel than waggy 44s or whatever length they are.

cant find a single person who has done chevy 52s in a rear shackle setup. i cant figure out how to make it work because the angle of the frame will put the pinion at an awful angle, unless of course i do a massive drop on the front which i do not want to do. plan is to have the leaf bolt at the very most 4" from the frame (2" cross member + hanger mount) but if need be i will throw in another 2" like wolhf 16 did (see post #9)
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37746

any pictures or tips on how to accomplish this or maybe another leaf option out there?

getting very close to starting my swap and this is a major speed bump in my design

thank you

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
oh ya...another question i had. that angle on the frame, is it the same across all years? seems like the ifs rangers have less of a slope than ttb rangers, whish would mean that my drop brackets would have to be even longer. is that about right?

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I might be easyer just to use the 44044 springs or go with some trailgear toyota springs.
I think it will be really hard to keep the pinion at the right angle.

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
haha just the guy i as looking for. just saw that you finished your build and was gonna send you a pm. did you have any issues with your pinion with how long your shackles are? are you using shims?

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
honestly though, how horrible is the ride with front shackles? gonna be street driven. i know kage has serious problems with it. is flex worth the trade off for crappy street ride quality with front shackle 52s. or does the 44044 flex good enough that i wouldnt notice a difference?

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I did have to use shims, I went with the 3 degree shims so my caster would be at 6 degrees. I could of goten away from the shims if I would of gotten a small shackel instead of the 5in I have now.
For the ride I think it is pretty decent, I still would like to build a trac bar and maybe move my shackle mount a head alittle for a better angle. I think the 44044 flex pretty good foe a leaf spring.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
what do you think about the 3" leaf i just posted? would it give me a slightly better lift? i like the height you have but my hanger will be welded to a 2x4 so i think you have more hanger drop than me. do you happen to have that measurment?

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I think the one you posted should give about the same lift as the rancho 44044. After work today ill give u the measurements of my front drop bracket.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The rough country says it has a 7.5" arch and the 44044 says it has a 6.58" arch. Shouldn't that make a difference?

And ya those measurements would be much appreciated. Just need to know how low your front spring bolt is from the bottom of the frame

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
My front bracket from the bottom of the frame to the center of the bolt is 6 3/4 in. and i have a 5in rear shackel.

Those spring should provide about a 1 in. more lift.

If u need any more measurements feel free to ask and ill try to help the best i can

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
crap, i think my gen ranger has a steeper slope in the frame so that means im gonna need like an 8" or 9" drop. gonna have to find a buddy with a newer ranger to compare our frames. thank you for the measurement. now i have a good reference to start off from. think im gonna steal dieselsmoke's design and stack a second 2x4 under my crossmember to give me an extra 2" and run a 4" shackle. and if all else fails, i found an 8* shim on diy4x.com ;)

as for leafs, i think im gonna go with the rough country. im sure quality isnt up to par with rancho since they cost half as much lol but i figure if its not enough lift, ill switch to chevy superlift 4" since itll bolt right up (same eye to eye length)

thanks again for the info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals