• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS Steering Box Questions

the_blue_phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I've been doing a lot of research over the past couple of days on this, and while I know what the majority of people are using, I still don't know what I'm going to use for my SAS. I know a lot of people have asked before what box to use, but hopefully these questions will help me narrow it down.

I just have a few questions, and if anyone can help clarify or point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

First off, I know a lot of guys are using a toyota box. My question is, has anybody ever had any problems with the tires rubbing on the box if it's outside of the frame rail? secondly, if I can't find a toyota box, i've heard that a nissan box is almost exactly the same thing, can anybody confirm this?

Aside from the toyota box, what other options do I have? I have heard of some people using bronco or f150 boxes, or even early ranger boxes. Any thoughts on these? My only requirements are that it's gotta be easy to put on, relatively cheap, and be able to be tapped for hydro assist. Any help would be great!

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I used a '79 f-150 box. I got it rebuilt from a guy on Craigslist. I plated the frame for strength and had to get a shorter pitman arm but it works great. I cant tell you about hydro steer. I moved it as far forward on the frame as possible and had to trim to fit. The tire doesn't come anywhere near it. You will have to get custom hoses made. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Tell us more about this swap your doing.

the_blue_phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Welllllll I have a high-pinion jeep dana 30, i picked it up for $175 from my friend. Comes locked, geared to 4.88s, and he's throwing in the 8.8 gears to match, as well as spare axle shafts. Thought that was a pretty damn good deal. I figure that while there isn't any major gain in strength by going with the 30, it will be just fine to handle 35 inch tires (which is what I'm shooting for), and I'm really easy on the skinny pedal. Also I figure that if it breaks, then hell it's already set up for a solid axle, and should be pretty easy to go ahead and swap a 44 in.

I'm going with leaf springs, probably wagoneer springs. Still debating the steering box, however I have upgraded the steering knuckles and brakes with those from a WJ, which is the equivalent of having a high-steer dana 30. Right now I'm still in the whole parts gathering phase, hopefully I'll get it started in the later part of the summer.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Sounds good at least it will be more capable than stock. Good deal on the 30 especially with a locker. Hopefully its not a spool locker, I dont hear good thinggs about those. Something to keep in mind if you ever swap the 8.8 is that the vss is in the axle and you will have to engineer a solution if you want the truck to run.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Running an F150 box myself don't remember the year to be honest though.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using a toyota IFS box out of a 88 4runner. It mounts to the outside of the frame and works great. No rubbing at all, easly accessable and easy to set up for hydro. 55 bucks at pic n pull or about $300 new. I was asking the same questions as you about 5 months ago. this was the way to go for me but to each their own. the costom hose was about $40. if you get the box at a junk yard try to find one with the hoses on it. it will save you money when you have the hose made.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds good at least it will be more capable than stock. Good deal on the 30 especially with a locker. Hopefully its not a spool locker, I dont hear good thinggs about those. Something to keep in mind if you ever swap the 8.8 is that the vss is in the axle and you will have to engineer a solution if you want the truck to run.
The vss sensor on a 96 ranger is on the t-case. one of the guys on here swaped it out with his current one and it solved his problem. You might remember this. He said it bolted right up and it has a normal yoke for the front drive shaft too. he had a 99 3.0 with a 4r44e auto trany.

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW, 80-96 F150/Bronco Steering boxes are virtually the same as the BroncoII/1997 and down rangers. Same spline count for pitman arm/steering shaft. I believe they have different ratios though.

78/79 F150 steering boxes are outside the frame jobs like the 'yota boxes.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW, 80-96 F150/Bronco Steering boxes are virtually the same as the BroncoII/1997 and down rangers. Same spline count for pitman arm/steering shaft. I believe they have different ratios though.

78/79 F150 steering boxes are outside the frame jobs like the 'yota boxes.
the 78/79 boxes are a bit bigger then the yoda. could work though.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just checked RockAuto.com.

The F150/Ranger/BroncoII years mentioned above use the EXACT same part number steering box.

As for the 78/79 Boxes, yes they are a lot larger, but still gives plenty of room regarding clearance issues. I would like to assume since they ARE larger, they are also stronger, which would eliminate any dilema's when making my decision on which outside frame box to use.

Bloodybrains

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know I'm a little late posting to his thread but, anyway. One thing to keep in mind is the clearance inside the frame rail. Mounting the yoda box exterior add a bit-o-room...

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My question is whats wrong with the ranger box plenty strong. The pump is the weakness to me. I am running a cooler with my stock stuff "89 ranger dana44waggy" been working great. Just my pitman arm reamed the same as an f-150 arm. Nice thing is nothing is a hard to custom part.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Ranger boxes are just not as easy to mount as other boxes....

BTW Rangers, F150, F250, F350 use the exact same box..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The 78/79 box uses the exact same internals and rebuild kit as a Ranger box, just have a longer shaft going down and a bushing vs a needle bearing at the pitman

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Theirs nothing wrong with the ranger steering box, the 98 and up rangers have rack and pinion steering. That's why when we do a solid axle conversion we have to adapt a steering box on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals