• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sas

slobby351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9/3.5 stroker
Transmission
Manual
i am putting a solid axel d30 from a jeep in my 90 b2 what do i need for the steering ??

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I had the same question awhile back but I've read to use the steering linkage from the vehicle you got the D30 off of. I'm going to have to get a Cherokee steering linkage becuase thats what mine came off of. My D30 was given to me without linkage. Are you going to be using coils or leaves when you do your swap? I'm going to be using leaves because I'm a total n00b at it plus got the leaves for $10.

Does your BII have a D35 or D28? If it has a D35 keep what you have or upgrade to a D44.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I had the same question awhile back but I've read to use the steering linkage from the vehicle you got the D30 off of. I'm going to have to get a Cherokee steering linkage becuase thats what mine came off of. My D30 was given to me without linkage. Are you going to be using coils or leaves when you do your swap? I'm going to be using leaves because I'm a total n00b at it plus got the leaves for $10.

Does your BII have a D35 or D28? If it has a D35 keep what you have or upgrade to a D44.
don't use leaves man, use coils. it will bolt in easier. his bII, unless he swapped it, will have the d28.

if the stock cherokee linkage doesn't work, check out ballistic fab, they'll have what ya need for new linkage.

XVTer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am putting a solid axel d30 from a jeep in my 90 b2 what do i need for the steering ??
Is the axle built up at all? They tend to be the weak link in the Jeep's driveline.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Problem is I dont have the coils and the leaves are bought. Plus I dont want to set-up a four link. I dont have that kind of fab skills...I have enough to do leaves.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Problem is I dont have the coils and the leaves are bought. Plus I dont want to set-up a four link. I dont have that kind of fab skills...I have enough to do leaves.

Ford-style radius arm set-ups are practically bolt-in.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Or use some Jeep long arms (radius arms). They bolt right onto the Jeep axle and mount at the frame like Ford arms would.

his bII, unless he swapped it, will have the d28.
Both axles are possible on a 1990.

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Or use some Jeep long arms (radius arms). They bolt right onto the Jeep axle and mount at the frame like Ford arms would.
:GASP:

Would that be a suggestion to use a Dana 30? :thefinger:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has radius arms on it already but I dont know if I can use them or find places to bolt them up. I do know where some Jeep springs are, they lifted the Jeep about 5 to 6 inches that I can get for free. I might just get them and look at my options. We shall see. Anybody have pictures of a D30 under a ranger that uses the Jeep 4 link (factory ones)?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
:GASP:

Would that be a suggestion to use a Dana 30? :thefinger:
Hmmm... I guess somehow I forgot to add in something about a Rubicon 44 in my post :icon_confused:

(well it is better than the D28!... lol) :thefinger:

dr83, I think you'll really be glad you did if you stick with coils. It really is easier than trying to switch everything out to leafs, especially if you have an axle that already has coil mounts and radius arms on it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what I'm being told is that I can use the orignal factory radius arms that are on my on my D30 and the coil locations are okay too?? If so then I'm going to be looking at pictures of other 4-link set-ups.

Like I've said I'm not looking for lift or that much, just want it under my truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
So what I'm being told is that I can use the orignal factory radius arms that are on my on my D30 and the coil locations are okay too?? If so then I'm going to be looking at pictures of other 4-link set-ups.

Like I've said I'm not looking for lift or that much, just want it under my truck.
Factory came with a 5-link setup (4 links + panhard).

When I mentioned radius arms for the jeep axle, I was referring to something like seen in this pic (either bought aftermarket, or home-brewed).

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana30.htm

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to think about what rought I'm going to take. I'm not going to be able to do the swap until next spring but that will give me time to decide (who knows may clean out the garage to do it this winter). Hunting season is just around the corner and need to save for that.

One way or another it will have a solid axle.

While I'm here, IF I do go with leaves, should I put the shackle in the front or back? I've seen both set-ups but dont know the differences, if there are any.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals