• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

School me on batteries,cheap ones

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Rat is killing me on parts. Latest is the freaken Valu Craft battery. It has had a hard life and is at the end of it. It is holding voltage around 11.8. I'm thinking its a bad cell. Since I've quieted down the exhaust, all I can hear is the poor ol' alternator whining "Help meeee" I am gonna need another battery. The Rat isn't a daily driver, so a 500 CCA is fine. I'm gonna spend the bucks on a battery minder, rather than a battery. They are all around 100 $ for the cheapest. The Harbor Freight cheapie 1/2 amp maintainer gets very warm trying to get the voltage to float. 4yrs I got from it and they weren't easy yrs.

Somebody said that the cheaper batteries in a group will last better because the plates are spaced wider than a battery that with more CCA that has more plates closer together. So I want to find the cheapest battery I can find. TIA :D

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The best (read: best value in) batteries I know of are probably the Kirkland/Interstate batteries at Costco.

It seems the days of buying a battery, sticking it in the vehicle and simply forgetting about it for four years or more are over... No matter the price or type, even $$$ AGM stuff, they all seem to succumb to sulfation if not given some nurturing in the way of overnight (or even day-long) absorption charges nowadays, I suspect due to the recycled lead most use because of environmental reasons.

I can tell you Valuecraft (anything) is pretty much junk. Most of it is made in china and is bottom-of-the-barrel. If you're buying from Autozone, maybe try their higher-end Duralast units.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Try Delco Voyager deep-cycle battery. It is a popular choice among jeep and truck owners. It can last up to 9 years or more.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go to a Interstate dealer (I work at one) and ask about an Econo battery. They might have check around a little, we don't stock them but see what the truck has on them when they stop.

Same exact thing as the ones on the rack but with a reduced warrenty because they sat on a shelf too long.

My $30 700CCA MT-34 is still whipping over my 302 just fine after 4 years. :icon_thumby:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I don't recommend bargain batteries. I'm not even all that excited about the better ones. But I do know that Autozone sells "used" batteries which are often new ones that have sat on the shelf too long. I suspect that other places do the same thing.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The best (read: best value in) batteries I know of are probably the Kirkland/Interstate batteries at Costco..
I am Shane, and I approve of this message. Their warranty is awesome. They have a 42 month, that's right FORTY TWO month warranty. If your battery dies, and you get it replaced, the warranty renews.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Try Delco Voyager deep-cycle battery. It is a popular choice among jeep and truck owners. It can last up to 9 years or more.
Unfortunately that isn't the case anymore :sad: (I know, I've been buying Delco Voyager batteries myself since the 1980s). About 7 years ago Delco switched to a different battery supplier, and of course they went right to shit afterward (a pair of Voyagers I bought in '09 lasted just short of five years, they were the very first Voyagers I've owned to last less than 8½ years).

So now I just buy whatever is available (short of anything bottom-barrel) and hit them with a 12-24 hour absorption charge @ ~14.6V every 3-4 months to fully nurture the battery back to a 100% charge.
Costco's deep-cycle batteries look to be the same as the current Voyager, but are about 40% cheaper at $80 a pop... If I can get 5 years out of them too, then I guess that's good enough for now unless I happen to come across something better/needs less attention (that also isn't quadruple the $$$).

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
What about optima solid state batteries I have heard nothing but good news from those.(never owned one tho couldn't afford it)

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have and will always use Autozone Duralast Batteries. Bought one for the B2300 on 12/05/2002 and lasted till 6/22/2012. Yes that's right 9½ years!!!!!!!!! New one in for 3 years and also no problems.. Just check the water level every two weeks or so.

No problems with it at all. and I will tell you I leave the radio on all the time washing/working on it and used to listen to the radio for at least a hour a night on lunch 5 night a week.

Never by a Exide battery. They are crap !!!!!!!!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a volt meter in your truck? Putting the battery on a trickle charge will keep it alive longer. Running the battery down and then starting the motor also makes the charging system work harder. A volt meter telling you battery voltage with the key on and when running will tell you when something aint right. Any battery is only as good as the charging system.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The alternator is fine , It puts out 14.5 volts .Its a bad battery,it just doesn't hold float voltage and anything I use to charge it, is just turning electricity into heat. I am gonna get a new battery and put it on a trickle charger. I like the suggestion of a "used" Interstate. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I don't recommend bargain batteries. I'm not even all that excited about the better ones. But I do know that Autozone sells "used" batteries which are often new ones that have sat on the shelf too long. I suspect that other places do the same thing.
I have one in a tractor and one in my truck, tractor is 3 years old and truck is like I said 4. No issues at all.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have one in a tractor and one in my truck, tractor is 3 years old and truck is like I said 4. No issues at all.
So, I can go to my local AZ and ask for an old battery and get it for a discount? How much of a discount? Hmmn, I need some some odds and ends, I'll give it a try. :D

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What about optima solid state batteries I have heard nothing but good news from those.(never owned one tho couldn't afford it)
Nope, Optima went downhill as well. They were sold off to the same company that Delco went to (Johnson Controls). Just do an internet search for "Optima battery problems"... You'll find at least one multi-page thread about this subject (more likely several) on just about every vehicle-centric web forum that exists (one of our own is right here).

I will say I have seen somewhat less activity on these threads in the last 1-2 years or so... Maybe they've improved some, I don't know. But I still ain't paying triple for a battery that I don't know whether it'll last 3× as long as one I can buy from Costco (that is also ~40% smaller Ah capacity).

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I can go to my local AZ and ask for an old battery and get it for a discount? How much of a discount? Hmmn, I need some some odds and ends, I'll give it a try. :D
Mine are Interstates, selection varies with what is on the battery delivery truck.

I have never been in an Autozone. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals