• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

School me on driveshafts

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
1984 single cab long bed frame with D35 and 8.8 flat flange. 302>ZF5>BW4406. What vehicles will have a compatible driveshaft and if none where do I measure from to get one made?

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That is going to be a very short driveshaft compared to others. If you keep searching and searching, you may find one close enough.

On measuring the shaft, find a shop that does it first. They will tell you how they would like for you to measure. It most likely will be cheaper for you to bring the slip yoke or flange to fit the transfer case, and bring the flange for the rearend. And then bring a shaft that is too long and they can cut that one down to fit.

If your transfer case has a flat flange, they will have to put a slip yoke in the shaft itself. It has to grow longer and shorter as you go over bumps in the road.

P.S. Depending on what the shop says, they may want you to install the slip yoke half-way in the the transfer case, and bolt the flange piece on the rearend, and measure from yoke to yoke. You will have to wait and see what they want.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
If you keep searching and searching, you may find one close enough.
Where does shaft diameter fit in the conversation? Aluminum or steel?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think it’s mostly preference for shaft diameter and material. Wall thickness will probably matter more. I think 98+ Rangers all had 4” diameter rear shafts. My lowered 2000 with the 302/4R70w/AWD t-case and doing the Explorer 8.8” as spring under required taking about 1.5” out of my stock shaft and a different flange. I tracked down and bought a flange, cut out what I needed from the shaft, welded it back together as best I could, and had a driveline shop balance it out. I was a little off perfect, but the shop was able to do a little tweaking and make it work. Stock rear driveshaft thickness is actually surprisingly thin, less than 1/16” thick I want to say. If you’re gonna be rock crawling, you’ll want a thicker shaft.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
I think tom woodd is a favorite jeep drive shaft maker on the forums. Wrangler rear driveshafts are like 16 or 20 inches long so if you need short, look at those.

And lots of wrangler guys get cherokee front shafts and cut them down

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals