• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Serpentine Belt Tensioners 1990 2.3L

Nubs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hi All! My truck is a 1990 Ford Ranger 2.3L with a 5 speed manual. I've been working on fixing it up lately, and would like to know how in the world do we take the Idler and A/C pulleys off of the brackets they're installed to.
It looks like some sort of a ring holds them on from the back and from the front I have no idea other than maybe they're pressed on somehow? I'd surely appreciate some insight onto these if you have it. They're not spring loaded or anything, they're just basically you tension it manually and lock the bolt down. You guys have any ideas?

Thanks!
Nubs

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You must buy a new bracket for the 1990 (I have same year) with new pulley for tensioner. The pulley is forged in place (stud peened over) to make the bearing or wheel non-replaceable unless you drill and weld a new replacement in.
The replacement pulley is hard to find and most specified are wrong! Watch for the kink in the tensioner plate. When you see the link in the steel plate, that’s the one. Pay close attention to the backing plate picture and don’t trust local parts store websites. Find the mfgr part number that matches and hunt by part number.
Good luck on it.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Gates 36155 is what I bought on Amazon and paid a pretty penny after receiving another gates “supposed to fit” part from Oriellys, gates 361xx. Close but way wrong— yes an oxymoron!

Nubs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thank you SO much! I've been scratching my head over this for a month now. I found the AC Pulley with the bracket, but the Idler was eluding me!! You've made my day for sure! Thanks again corerftech! I love the idea of pulley only replacements, so I'm going to see what can be done to source a size appropriate pulley set, and see about making the old pulley / bracket set a pulley only replacement. Have a great day!! :D(y)

DonK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Small
Thanks for this info guys! Not what I was hoping for tho…;)

JHwkHud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for this info guys! Not what I was hoping for tho…;)
Thanks also, but no one I found has the bracket in stock. My pulley is not long for the world. Obviously no grease left in it as one can hear the bearings, and it chirps like mad under load.

DonK, did you find a solution? I'm thinking about drilling out the bracket and converting to a bolt-in. Thoughts anyone?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's what I'm planning on doing since I searched for that bracket and couldn't find any that weren't almost $200...

I found a pulley with lips on the edges like the stock one, Duralast 231080 that looks promising

DonK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
Small
Thanks also, but no one I found has the bracket in stock. My pulley is not long for the world. Obviously no grease left in it as one can hear the bearings, and it chirps like mad under load.

DonK, did you find a solution? I'm thinking about drilling out the bracket and converting to a bolt-in. Thoughts anyone?
I have not. Found one on eBay for $250. Thought about doing the conversion to a bolt also. Mine is not as bad as yours but does have a deep grove in it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals