• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shift flare after valve body

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4R44E Put in a new updated valve body. 1-2 shift definately better 2-3 shift worse...what next?

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace all the servos and solenoid packs?

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace all the servos and solenoid packs?
Everything attached to the valve body.
It actuallt is getting better now the more miles I put on it. It seems like the computer is figuring out all the new stuff.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats probably the problem, Line pressures all changed and the computer is figuring it out. It will take a while and try to drive the same for awhile like if you were breaking in gears so it learns correctly. Keep us posted on how it works out. Where did you get the valve body through?

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thats probably the problem, Line pressures all changed and the computer is figuring it out. It will take a while and try to drive the same for awhile like if you were breaking in gears so it learns correctly. Keep us posted on how it works out. Where did you get the valve body through?
Bought the valve body on ebay from a place in Florida. Place was great to deal with. Received it in the mail and the seperator plate was bent (you could tell the bax was dropped because it was crushed on one end)...called them and they sent me a new one which I received before the old one was sent back! And they refunded the money for the shipping! On their advise I used an updated valve body for a 5R55E with all the selenoids with it.

Trans is shifting great now! Drove it for about 100 miles and it worked itself out. Now this weekend I swapped out the motor...with the new motor still shifts great but now the converter seems like it wants to hunt around a bit right at like 45-50 mph like it can't decide where it wants to be. Wasn't doing this with the old motor...maybe it will work itself out. On another note I'm kind of pissed my oil pan gasket is leaking. That 1 piece design SUCKS! I'll take the old 4 piece style any day. They say no need for sealant and all that stuff...guess I won't listen th that again. Now I have to try to lift the motor up enough to drop the pan enough to put some sealer on the front and rear lip. 99 4x4 anyone able to sneak the pan out without yanking the motor that could fill me in.

For those of you wondering I did the valve body to see if it made the tranny better before swapping the motor since I have a 5spd here that was ready to go in with the engine swap if it didn't. I am building the truck for my 15 yr old son.
Now if the tranny works itself out I will probably put together a tranny swap package for someone. I have a M5ODR1, shifter, floor plate, boot, drink holder, pedals, computer, lines, flywheel, master,etc. all out of the same truck... 99 4x4 3.0.

Last edited:

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to you should post up the ebay store if there was one that you got the kit from sounds like great customer service that we should pass on. I was asking mainly cause I was considering re-building my valve body on my 5r55e but I am going with a M5OD swap instead. Glad it worked out for you and I agree with the gasket situation, 1 piece is better in ways until you have to replace it. Keep up the good work son is a lucky kid:icon_thumby:

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have put some miles on it now and the shudder seems to be the same ...no better, no worse. Everything shifts fine. At around cruising speed in O/D if you hit a hill or try to accelerate even slightly it feels like the convertor shudders or it has a miss under load. If you shut O/D off it doesn't do it at all and only does it at cruising speed with O/D on. That leads me to believe it is in the convertor. I wonder why it would suddenly do this. Should I try some additive to remedy this? What kind of additive? When I put the VB in I used Mercon 5. I have only owned the truck a short time and have no idea what was in it previously. I didn't do a flush, just dropped the pan changed the VB and filter. The fluid was cherry red and clean prior to me changing the VB as well. (Only reason I attempted the VB as a fix to the shift flare problem) If this is the original trans it has 135000 miles on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals