• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifter movement

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I notice that in the lower gears, 1st and 2nd that the shift has a little movement. Like if I let off the gas and then get back on the gas it moves about a half inch or so, maybe more.

I'm thinking possibly engine mounts or transmission mounts could cause this?

While I'm typing I have another unrelated question. When I let the clutch pedal up, it engages and moves the truck at the very last bit of pedal travel. When I push it back in, it feels like the first inch or two does nothing. Should I try bleeding the clutch or is it a sign of clutch wear? I'm easy on the truck and it doesn't slip so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the help,
Joey

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the movement could be your mounts. If you can move the shifter side to side with your hands it may be the bushings on the end of the shifter.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The shifter will have some play, no matter what. But if you can put it into 1st and it looks like it is in 3rd, the shifter bushings are shot. As for when you accelerate and the shifter moves, it will move a little. But once again, if it looks like the shifter moved across gears while on accelerating or decel, then it is best to check the engine mounts.

The clutch pedal on the Ranger always seem to disengage early and engage late. Usually the first 1/3 of travel is where the engagement point is. If it is disengaging almost till the pedal hits the floor, the clutch is probably worn out or there is something wrong with the hydraulics.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah its not the shifter bushings, it actually feels really tight. It only moves when you get on or off the gas. If its sitting still or even steadily driving on the gas I can't move it at all.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the mounts then. There's one towards the middle/tail of the trans and should be easy to check and change if necessary. The motor mounts should be a bit more difficult.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals