• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifter solution?

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 Explorer 4 door 4wd with a 5 speed. I can not put the vehicle into 2nd gear if I have a drink in the drivers cup holder or in reverse with a drink in the passenger cup holder. I do have a little slop in the shifter but I still think with that fixed I would have this problem with tall drinks.

So, has anyone tried to build a console to accomidate a console shifter?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know if the manual console is similar to the auto, but i f'n hated the cupholders!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
there are 3 different cup holder inserts for the stock center console, one single, one side by side (what you have) and one where they are inline, go junk yard surfing and grab one that's inline and you will be good to go... yours is held in place with two screws in the little front tray thing I think, the inline one is just clipped in, grab the front lip and lift it out.

The other option would be the $200 Hurst short throw shifter...

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking along the lines of the short thow but have not worked much with manuals so I really don't know just what is involved and how hard it is to get the shifter in just the right location. If I went this route ideally I would want the shifter about were the cupholder is now and make a custome console as can be seen in the tech sections with cup holders in front of the shifter. I would love to see some diagrams of how that shifter bolts up so I would know what my restrictions were on custom location.

Of coarse now that I know about the inline cupholders that is a whole lot less work. I will check that out at the salvage yard.

Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals