• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I trade my ranger with no engine for this?

KENWIL138

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I am chattin with a guy that wants to trade his 1974 f-100 4x4 that runs good for my 1989 ranger 4x4 that needs an engine. The f-100 is in decent shape. I mean it has its share of dings and some dents with a little rust but its not bad. My ranger is in good shape all around except for the engine. What do you think?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what is the cost of the motor for the ranger, vs cost of running the 74? Do you feel ok with a deal like that trust your gut and dont over think it.

trev23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Automatic
not trying to be a dick or anything but we can't really help you cause ur the only one who truly knows what you want.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
trade it.why not trade a truck that doesnt run for a 4x4 truck that does?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If the 74 is a complete truck, and not rusted to hell and back underneath I would go for it. I have always liked the 70's style Ford trucks. they have character.

AJ

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If the ranger has less rust I would stick with it, a used motor can be had damn cheap. Rust is not only a bad cosmetically, and structurally, but it also makes a vehicle a total pain the the ass to work on. By that I mean, nothing is that hard to work on so long as the bolts do not snap in half because of rust. I know, i bought a ranger from minnesota..........The body is great, but below the body lerks a beast!

AaronC47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
74 Ford

I had a 74 ford f-100 4 wd, I had the big 15" chrome spoke mojock wheels and it was a somewhat dark green kinda like the newest mustangs. I LOVED that truck,, I HATED the gas mileage, It got to a point it had to be a balance of good truck when I needed it and if I needed gas mileage then it got to stay home alone. Oh yea and it had a stock 360 and manual trans. It finally crapped out so I built a sweet 390 with Edelbrock 4 barrel, But the truck rode good drove good and it really had character. However these days if you dont question the price of gas then go for it and trade away. I did also enjoy the ground clearance.

Last edited:

KENWIL138

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The truck has a the 360 in it. Manual 4 speed. There are some rust areas on the cab and bed but not too crazy. The undercarriage looks decent. This would not be my daily driver, I have my 95 2.3 for that. The ranger that I would trade is just sitting in my garage and I am never going to fix it because I dont really have the time. I know that engines are cheap and all that. I have done engine swaps for years. Just wanted some rough opinions on the subject.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd trade for it. Solid axle, manual tranny, and 360's are good dependable engines. Hard to find parts for nowadays, but still good. They remind me of a 2.9 with their constant lifter chatter.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!!

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The truck has a the 360 in it. Manual 4 speed. There are some rust areas on the cab and bed but not too crazy. The undercarriage looks decent. This would not be my daily driver, I have my 95 2.3 for that. The ranger that I would trade is just sitting in my garage and I am never going to fix it because I dont really have the time. I know that engines are cheap and all that. I have done engine swaps for years. Just wanted some rough opinions on the subject.
Trade. Why are you even asking? It's a no brainer.

KENWIL138

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well basically I could sell the ranger and have some extra money and not another project sitting around taking up space. Thats why I am asking. Thanks for all the replies guys :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals