• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sloppy steering... *newb*

89ranger2.3l2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just bought a 2 wd 1989 Ranger with a 2.3. I had a mechanic look it over and there are two things I need to do to it. If anyone could give me some instructions on what to do that would be great!!

the first problem is the stearing rod ( I think that was what he called it... Its the part that connects the steering column to the stearing box). It needs to be replaced and I don't know how to do this. also, where might a good place be to go to get a new one? (I'm a broke college student so cost is a big issue with me)

The second thing is the leafs. How do I change them, and where would the best place to go be for me?

Thank you very much for all of your help with these matters!

-Mikey

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Junkyards, for both questions.

Leaf springs are very straightforward -- remove two through bolts and two U-bolts and they come right off. Rust can be an issue. You'll need lots of leverage and a decent penetrating lubrication (I suggest Kroil in the spray can -- check sporting goods stores if you have trouble finding it; the hunter guys seem to really like the stuff).

The intermediate steering rod comes out with a pinch bolt on each end. Remove them both completely. But the usual problem in it is the "rag joint" at the lower end. Some Ford rag joints can be bought new, made by Help!, and they aren't terribly expensive (around $35 last I checked).

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
(I suggest Kroil in the spray can -- check sporting goods stores if you have trouble finding it; the hunter guys seem to really like the stuff).
hey cool,i've been using aero kroil for years and swear by it over PB,LW,etc.everyone i know hasen't heard of it and i was a little suprised to see it mentioned here.you can work miracles with a long soak and a little heat.

89ranger2.3l2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks

Thanks guys! I get pasid in a week, I'll swap thoses out in a week.

Thanks!
-Mikey

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals