• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SO.... Manual Hub swap, then no 4x4.

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
I recently swapped out the old PVHs for the new AVM 470s and I also replaced my hub bearing assemblies on both sides. I figured I'd plug the metal tubes and black dry rotted tubing. Well... The hubs work wonderfully, but, now the damn engagement system won't work. Pissing me off. Should I just go to a Ford dealership and get the whole system reworked? Or is there a way to add manual control to the BW 1354? Btw, I have a 1998. Anywho, I hardly ever wheel her which means there is nothing broken that I know of, and I would like to have a functional system. I don't like to have extra weight for nothing.

Anywho, I've done searching and found swaps, but I don't really want to try doing that since I'm not super mechanically inclined but I can do many a thing.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Did you plug the vacuum hose (or the nipple) coming out of the PVH switch? You not only have to plug the hose (or metal nipple) that is attached to the hub, you have to plug the other end of the system. If the switch cannot pull vacuum, it will not change the 4x4 gears, and will flash the 4x4 lights on the dash.

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
I don't really have a sufficient way to plug them.... Got any ideas? I tried tying knots in the tubing and placing some form of a rubber stop with tape... Needless to say, it fell off and it was just a wing-it sort of thing.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Put a screw in the end of the line.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Put a screw in the end of the line.
slightly larger than the hose size screw, with silicone in the threads, or cover the screw with silicone or equivalent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals