• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED - O/D Off Button not working - No O/D Off light on dash when button is pushed.

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I simply mean "figure out if the switch is broken or sporadic" as opposed to your problem being something else more involved (PCM, transmission, etc). If you don't want to disassemble the switch, consider shooting something like "CRC QD Electronic Cleaner" spray into the switch and "work" it a couple dozen cycles by hand. If your 2003 is anything like my 2004, you should be able to easily tell if the switch itself is working, sporadic, or totally broken, just sitting there with the key on, engine off.
The only time the switch worked in the last couple days was when the shop, yesterday, hooked up the OBD2 Scanner and then unhooked it (no codes by the way). Then the switch and light immediately worked during a 10 minute test drive. When he shut the truck off for me to go over to the drivers seat to leave, and when I re-started the truck, the light and button immediately stopped working. So I don't know if the switch is totally broken or just dirty.

I like your idea to spray electronic contact cleaner into the switch. I will get some and try that. An easy first step.

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I simply mean "figure out if the switch is broken or sporadic" as opposed to your problem being something else more involved (PCM, transmission, etc). If you don't want to disassemble the switch, consider shooting something like "CRC QD Electronic Cleaner" spray into the switch and "work" it a couple dozen cycles by hand. If your 2003 is anything like my 2004, you should be able to easily tell if the switch itself is working, sporadic, or totally broken, just sitting there with the key on, engine off.
Well..... I sprayed Electronic Contact Cleaner in the switch as you suggested and "no change". Same issue. Cant get the OD Off Light to come on again since yesterdays test drive at the shop. Ughhhh !!!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This may be a long shot, but I'm wondering if somehow the bulb is part of the circuit and with the bulb burned out, the rest of the system stops functioning.

It wouldn't be the most insane wiring setup fords ever done, and would be pretty funny if all it took to fix it was a 10 cent bulb.
No. Because my bulb is burned out, but everything still functions normally otherwise.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Completely off topic. But if you do alot of city driving, turn the damn OD off as soon as you get in the truck. You'll save gas. If you never go above 45, the overdrive wastes gas. Counterintuitive but it comes on sometimes at like 35mph and then you'll go to pass or speed up and it just stays in overdrive wasting gas since the engine is working harder.

Not speculation or random guess... started doing this on mine and my city MPG has gone up a noticeable amount.
I turn the OD off in all three of my Fords as soon as I start them.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thanks Eric,
Can you please tell me how and where to find the harness plug that you are speaking of please ? What do I need to take apart and how, to get to the harness plug you are speaking of. I'm in the dark with all of this and quite frustrated.
The wiring harness is in sections. The sections plug together like extension cords. Take the covers off the steering column as mentioned above and make sure that all visible plug-together connections are tight.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well..... I sprayed Electronic Contact Cleaner in the switch as you suggested and "no change". Same issue. Cant get the OD Off Light to come on again since yesterdays test drive at the shop. Ughhhh !!!
Bummer. :( But it was worth a try and it's good to have the contact cleaner spray on hand for future use in a variety of problematic electrical scenarios, including dodgy wiring harness connections.

It's clearly time to put Eric's wise suggestion to use if you hadn't already been doing that. And if that doesn't pan out or turns out to be problematic, it'll be time to remove the switch itself (see RonD's illustration) and test it for continuity (i.e. with an ohm-meter). Since you know that the "O/D OFF" dashboard light has come on recently, it's clearly not a burned-out bulb, so it's got to be the switch itself or the wiring between the switch and the PCM. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which one.

saxtech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bummer. :( But it was worth a try and it's good to have the contact cleaner spray on hand for future use in a variety of problematic electrical scenarios, including dodgy wiring harness connections.

It's clearly time to put Eric's wise suggestion to use if you hadn't already been doing that. And if that doesn't pan out or turns out to be problematic, it'll be time to remove the switch itself (see RonD's illustration) and test it for continuity (i.e. with an ohm-meter). Since you know that the "O/D OFF" dashboard light has come on recently, it's clearly not a burned-out bulb, so it's got to be the switch itself or the wiring between the switch and the PCM. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which one.
Yes I agree... But its been 100 degrees outside here in Southern California. So I'm procrastinating.... Can someone provide instructions or a link on how to "take the covers off of the steering column" as Eric mentioned above please so I can check all of the harness connections ?
By the way.... I removed the little bezel around the push-button switch and tried to pull the switch out. It wouldn't come out without fear of breaking it... Am I missing something here ?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Do you know how to use a digital multimeter? Just asking.... it will go easier if you do. I get the feeling you don't have much experience with one. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I removed the little bezel around the push-button switch and tried to pull the switch out. It wouldn't come out without fear of breaking it... Am I missing something here ?
I've never removed the "O/D ON/OFF" (a.k.a. "TCS") switch either. But, as always, you should heed RonD's sage advice:
switch will have wires attached, so you should pull off steering wheel covers so you can feed them up when you pull the switch up
OT: @RonD, I've learned a lot from your posts on this and other forums. Not to hijack this thread, but I want to take the time to say "Thank you!" for all the guidance you provide here and elsewhere. It is very much appreciated!

Back on topic: I've never removed the steering wheel covers either. So while you're inside enjoying the air conditioning in the heat wave, start searching for some videos on "Ford Ranger steering column repair" or similar. Then you can kill 2 "birds" (harness connection checking and wire slack for switch removal) with 1 "stone" (steering column cover removal)!

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
This is getting painful to read. My truck runs perfectly but it is not new and not without a few defects. The cruise control does not work and it did not work when I got it. I don't miss it, and I have never made an attempt to fix it or to have it fixed. The button on the steering wheel is smashed so I suspect it would not be easy. The OD off light does not work either. It is so easy to know whether one is in OD or not so the lack of the light does not bother me at all. Otherwise, it runs perfectly in every other way.

These are great trucks. Enjoy!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
This is getting painful to read. My truck runs perfectly but it is not new and not without a few defects. The cruise control does not work and it did not work when I got it. I don't miss it, and I have never made an attempt to fix it or to have it fixed. The button on the steering wheel is smashed so I suspect it would not be easy. The OD off light does not work either. It is so easy to know whether one is in OD or not so the lack of the light does not bother me at all. Otherwise, it runs perfectly in every other way.

These are great trucks. Enjoy!

painful????? you want painful, I'll give you painful.

My check engine light in the 2000 has been on for over 15 years, what should I do?

OH!! wait, I forgot the light burned out 4-5 years ago. nevermind.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
well, this thread got me motivated. I actually went out and investigated the check engine light (that's burned out)

seems a darned critter clogged up the exhaust. oh well, easy fix.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Better be careful, that monkey probably pooped in your exhaust.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals