• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something weird happened to me last night

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
I was driving home from feeding my grandma's animals, and as i was leaving, my truck was acting a little slugish, i didn't think anything of it. So then i started going and i mashed the gas to the floor to pass a slow car, when i did, it started cutting out, it did this all the way home, any ideas what it might be

its an 86 ranger 2.9 EFI

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it almost felt like when your about to run out of gas and it started to cut out, or maybe a vacuum line, or i dread head gaskets, but i don't know

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the pressure drops while it's acting up. could be a plugged filter, bad pump. Also do a volume test on the fuel pump

danger03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like a fuel filter. Or it could be a bad plug or wire. but i would check the filter before i did anything. That is the cheapest to start with. Good luck with it.

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
LOL, I kinda don't have a fuel filter on it right now, this is where it's supposed to be

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that looks like the lower one, my '88 b2 has one right by the starter. and why would you take it out?

could also be fuel pump, or maybe the TFI. i just had a similar problem that ended up being a ground wire, but i had changed the fuel filter, TFI, and cleaned the IAC trying to fix it since those could be causes.

Last edited:

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No fuel filter? It's probably debris in your injectors. Why would you remove a fuel filter. They're cheap and it good defense against debris in gas and keeps you from having to replace the entire engine.

I'd say your lucky though, I'd go with a weak fuel pump...you hope.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Jay

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to get the shield off because it was bouncing and hitting the floor, i was using an air hammer and it slippeed and broke the fuel filter housing

It's a ford part and its like 100$

I was at school and i didn't have the money to buy a new one and forgot about it

Before it started happening, when i go KOEO i hear what seems to be bubbles in the fuel tank, almost like someone is sticking an air hose in water

Last edited:

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOL, I kinda don't have a fuel filter on it right now, this is where it's supposed to be

there may be a filter missing, but that sure looks like a filter on there to me. farther up the line behind the protection plate.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
there may be a filter missing, but that sure looks like a filter on there to me. farther up the line behind the protection plate.
Looks like frame mounted fuel pump.. My '88 fuel filter was further up the stream, after the frame mounted pump, right next to my drivers side header. Could be different on '86, the filters themselves are fairly big, if you can't find it, that's probably where it was. It's cheap enough to replace, luckily they left the regular fuel clip setup and didn't replace with hose clamps. <-- worst case.

Pull codes.

Pete

Jon Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, ok. didn't think about that one. lol

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
A plugged cat? My wifes old Geo did that once when the cat was plugged up. It was sluggish and wouldn't do over 20mph.........

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
First gens have 2 pumps, you sure it wasn't one of the pumps you removed? Because thats definitely a fuel filter on your truck.

edit: unless that is the pump, but I thought the pump had 2 lines going in/out..

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i had a bad ground to the computer. it acted similarly. every time i hit a bump it would just die, and it would be okay a second later.... i say check your wiring everywhere.

crazy96863

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have had this happen when O2 sensors go out. Still drives but spits and sputters everywhere. Check this if your truck is fuel injected. Ford switched them over to fuel injected around the 1986 or 1987 models.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals