• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Soooo, i'm thinking of getting a rifle.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That wouldn't surprise me so much when in combat. They probably had little time for cleaning, if any time at all. Just think of all the dirt, mud, and crud that those guns got covered in... Not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of rounds, fired between cleanings... Ammunition was corrosive back then, and required the weapons to be cleaned frequently to prevent corrosion. When you get a buildup of powder residue and fouling, combined with corrosion blocking the gas port in the barrel or gumming up the gas cylinder...it most likely going to jam, because that affects the gas flow that is required to unlock and opperate the bolt.

The normal shooter, even if they hardly ever clean the rifle, will rarely experience any sort of jam. Shooting corrosive ammo, or being in combat, can change that pretty quickly.
true, but the sks/ak's didn't have that problem. and still don't/

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll see that, and raise you. I already have mine ordered.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/
Very cool but not as practical for the Alaskan bush I dont think. Mine is not the Blackwater version in the pic its just a 500 cruiser with the Marinecote finish. I have full stock, front and rear pistol grips and a few other acc to set it up for whatever. Its tough and proven its worth over and over in some real crap conditions from 90 above zero to 60 below zero.:icon_thumby:

Imma go back and scope yours some more it looks wicked, I didnt look to good.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
true, but the sks/ak's didn't have that problem. and still don't/
True, but they've always had an accuracy problem.

The M1 is a quality built rifle, even though it was mass produced. It's heavy, yet very well balanced. The 30-06 round carries a great deal of energy out to long ranges, and is very accurate. Being more of a quality rifle, it doesn't have that slack/slop feel that allows for it to carry half it's weight in dirt, within the action of the gun, and still fire. But don't let that fool you, these guns are pretty damn rugged. Just the fact that some of these rifles have gone through two wars, some still with the original parts, and all these years later they still see frequent range time today...is really quite amazing.

But you're comparing two different animals. A battle rifle, and an assault rifle. When it comes to accuracy vs. reliability, I have yet to see where the garand doesn't score well in either catagory. Patton hit the nail on the head...

I could challenge anybody, even with the most tricked out ak/sks, at distance shooting with open sights on a garand. No sweat.:icon_thumby:

I've played with both sks's and ak's, shot them plenty, and yeah they're fun. But please...put the authority in my shoulder and give me a real rifle...Give me the garand!:beer:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

The M1 is a quality built rifle, even though it was mass produced. It's heavy, yet very well balanced. The 30-06 round carries a great deal of energy out to long ranges, and is very accurate. Being more of a quality rifle, it doesn't have that slack/slop feel that allows for it to carry half it's weight in dirt, within the action of the gun, and still fire. But don't let that fool you, these guns are pretty damn rugged. Just the fact that some of these rifles have gone through two wars, some still with the original parts, and all these years later they still see frequent range time today...is really quite amazing.

But you're comparing two different animals. A battle rifle, and an assault rifle. When it comes to accuracy vs. reliability, I have yet to see where the garand doesn't score well in either catagory. Patton hit the nail on the head...

I could challenge anybody, even with the most tricked out ak/sks, at distance shooting with open sights on a garand. No sweat.:icon_thumby:

I've played with both sks's and ak's, shot them plenty, and yeah they're fun. But please...put the authority in my shoulder and give me a real rifle...Give me the garand!:beer:
If you really wanted an accurate rifle at an affordable price, look for a bolt-action 7mm.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you really wanted an accurate rifle at an affordable price, look for a bolt-action 7mm.
Yep, all the caribou in my profile pics were taken with a 7mm.:icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Personally, I long for a .270. Nothing around here to justify much bigger, and even then some would call it overkill.

My truck fund had been keeping my gun fund dry lately though...

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Personally, I long for a .270. Nothing around here to justify much bigger, and even then some would call it overkill.

My truck fund had been keeping my gun fund dry lately though...
I have made kill shot's with 270's that belonged to friends a few times with good results, they loved them and hunt both moose and caribou with them.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Like in Vietnam? lol

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At my uncles butcher shop, we use a 22 mag pistol. It don't take much, just good placement.[/QUOTE]

22 mag at close range is fine but you need a little more stopping power when they're running through neighborhoods and sherrif's department has ordered dead cattle on site.:icon_thumby:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Remington 500

Reach out and touch something at 500 yds and says to yourself damn I am good.

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What about a lever gun In .357 and then you can get a wheel gun in the same cal. Or hell you can go .44mag but it cost more to shoot. Most lever guns with the right kind of ammo can now reach out to 100 yards and still drop pigs/deer/racoons

Attachments

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Be glad you don't live in Massachusetts. The state where it's easier to aquire a gun illegally, then getting one for self defense. Miss north Carolina... Walk into store, just need I.D, walk out with semi auto ak47.... Mass sucks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about a lever gun In .357 and then you can get a wheel gun in the same cal. Or hell you can go .44mag but it cost more to shoot. Most lever guns with the right kind of ammo can now reach out to 100 yards and still drop pigs/deer/racoons
You can usually run .38 special or .44 special in a .357 mag or .44 mag too (respectably) for cheaper target/messing around shooting too.

For a lever, I would go with something like a 30-30. It would take a pretty spicy pistol bullet to keep up one, and second only to the 30-06 for availablity. Mainly because they are just so darn handy.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like in Vietnam? lol
Not sure where you are/were headed with this comment. The M1/M14 were designed for warfare in Europe where long range overoad magazine capacity. Weapons evolve. Nam required a different weapon. What's the military caliber of choice today for long distance shooting, sure isn't the .223. I'm with Duster, give me the old 30.06 Springfield or M1 or the M-14, (sucked on full auto by the way).
Dave of the Nord

doc76251

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Dodge
Transmission
Manual
Kinda' new around here but have been doing the precision rifle thing for 20+ years.

The M1A is a nice stick but doggone near impossible to scope reliably and you have to add 2" of stock to get you eye lined up behind the scope. Don't get me wrong I love mine M1A's as XTC guns as I shot them on the Navy Rifle Team for 11 years but there are better mouse traps today.

For Hogs and Home-D you would be better off with a good scoped bolt gun and a 12 ga. You would also come out ahead on the price. Even better would be an AR platform in something like 6.8 SPC and a good .45, again you would come out ahead on $$$

You can build a solid AR for about $750 in just about any flavor you want and a SA XD in .45 is another $550. So for $1300 you have both bases covered, add optics and your still well under the price tag of a M1A.

FWIW - ANY rifle can be subject to a slam fire including bolt guns if they are not functioning properly, it has nothing to do with the en-block clip or a magazine. Garands use a modified single or 2 shot clip (yes I'm using the term correctly) to comply with National Match High Power, rules not for safety.

As some one else mentioned, lighting off a full size rifle inside a house would be a bit more that unpleasant and over penetration is a SERIOUS factor.

Cheers,

Doc

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals