• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sparkplugs

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
So whoever put the last set in my truck before I bought it was a complete tard. The plugs were a little black and oily but I just ran seafoam last night so I'm guessing that's why they were so dirty, which is also why I replaced them after the seafoam. But when it came to the gaps on the plugs I was replacing holy crap. I got anywhere from .055 and some were as low as .030. So they were all over. I put new Autolite Platinum plugs all gasped to .045 and I can deff feel ot in the pedal now. Before there was slight hesitation, but not anymore :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, it's always good to replace these things when their lifecycle is up, but the gap is something that can vary from plug to plug depending on a few variables...mostly heat and plug make. If you've got any kind of piston slap or whatever they call it then you could find some of them a bit flattened...

Doesn't necessarily reflect on the previous owners or their mechanical ability...just happens sometimes. The selection of plug brand might come into question as many try to save a nickel here and there only to cost themselves way more in the after effects of poor choices...

Even that can be a carp shoot with quality control taking a hit with many companies...especially those who outsource over seas...

You might want to check the pedal play for some added feel to the truck...if the cable stretches on the fuel pedal it can feel like your truck is on its last legs...or slower than the 3.slow has been given reputation for...only takes a few zip ties to fix and works great...

Just search for "zip tie fix" or similar and you should find a post in the Tech Articles...worth the effort just to know...as it has made many on here appear to be much smarter than we are with friends and family...lol

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
The truck was well taken care of I got complete service records for it when I bought it. None of them were flattened and they were Motorcraft platinum plugs so I was assuming the gap should have been .045 being oem plugs. I already did the zip tie only took one I did that the day I got her along with switch to synthetic oil and an air box mod to let her breathe. Next is to install my new shocks. Should be kind of intrasting because they were for my brothers full size bronco.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good stuff! I think you will be good to your Ranger...

Just curious, but what airbox mod are you looking at? I'm asking because one of the trucks I recently purchased had the 3.0 that I was considering for my Ranger...didn't do that but I got the airbox from it and it had a K&N filter that looked very new...but no other mods were done that I could tell...

So...long story longer...I'm using that box with the 2.3 MAF and I moded it on the bottom to take a 4" pipe (not finished yet) that will go under the battery tray on the passenger side...I'm hoping to get cooler air from where I'm putting the air in pipe (4" aluminum that had a round K&N filter on it)...

Anyway...I will post pics some day when I figure out a build thread for it...almost finished now so...should be soon...

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
I just took the hole where air come in and changed it from the tiny looking 2" hole to a bigger 5" hole roughly. I also have a KnN drop filter biut this is just to allow more air to flow. I still have the stock box. Just made a bigger hole. It seems like it helps a bit. You can actually hear the motor now when I drive.

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
What's the purpose of using the 2.3 MAF?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals