• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedo gears

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I swapped a 94 case into my 96 ranger. the 94 had a speedo cable, my 96 does not. Due to this, I just swapped the 96 speedo sensor into the 94 case. When I had the two cases out, I noticed they had different gears on the sensor. I want to say the 94 was a "17" and the 96 was a "19". I put the 94 gear on the 96 sensor and put the 96 sensor in the 94 case. Now I think my speedo is off.

I assume the numbers were the number of teeth, and the two teeth had the same pitch. If this is true, is there enough 'play' in the speedo sensor hole to rock a 19T instead of the 17T?

Any other solutions?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
they make speedo gears with from 13 to 24 teeth, they all fit.

however the worm gear inside the T-case that drives the little gear on the cable is made with from

look inside both T-cases and see what color the internal gear is.
Most often White, yellow or black, but I've seen red and purple...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they make speedo gears with from 13 to 24 teeth, they all fit.

however the worm gear inside the T-case that drives the little gear on the cable is made with from

look inside both T-cases and see what color the internal gear is.
Most often White, yellow or black, but I've seen red and purple...
What is from, and why does it matter?

So you can run any number of teeth and not worry about adjusting the center distance between the gears?

The gear on the 94 sensor was white, and 17T. The gear on my 96 sensor was purple, and 19T. IDK what the internal gear colors were for either case (I assume you want to match the internal gear color with the sensor gear?).

I thought the 94 gear with the 94 case would give me an accurate speedo. Guess that's not the case.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting. I kept the 94 gear with the 94 case, so theoretically it should be correct. I guess what changed between the two is the 94 had a mechanical cable, and my 96 just uses a sensor. The sensor must be calibrated differently than what the cable was.

I'll just pick up a 19T (the gear from my 96 was chewed up) gear and it should put it back to where it was.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
On my 92 I have both a sensor and a mechanical cable. The cable is for the speedo dial. The sensor is for the cruise control or so I'm guessing anyways. I can't think of another use for it.

And just to clarify you should only need to change that gear if you are changing the gear ratio in the rear end or cranking up or down the tire size dramatically. in some cases changing the ratio and the tire size will cancel out the need to change =>.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the way the 94 was - sensor and cable.

I pulled the 94 and 96 sensors out, they had different size gears. Figured the same year gear and case would yield an accurate speedo. That wasn't the case. I would just put my 96 gear in the 94 case, but the teeth were chewed up a bit.

I'll pick up another 19T gear and swap it in, thats the size that was in my 96 case. Hopefully that does the trick.

I understand axle gear and tire size. I'm saying my speedo is off, not in the absolute sense, but in the relative sense, like its different after I swapped in the 94 case than what is was when I had the 96 case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals