• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Problem and Cable Confusion (89 Ranger)

OtakuN3rd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I am once again trying to track down an answer for an unusual situation with my 1989 Ranger (at this point I am very tempted to call it a FrankenRanger, or better yet - FrankenFord as the Transmission that used to be in it was out of an '87 Aerostar van).

The issue I am having is an erratic speedometer. The problem originally only occurred in cold weather, but as of this last (very harsh) winter the problem has persisted. Note that the Odometer IS working correctly and the transmission is shifting in to OD like it should.

Today when doing an oil change I finally got around to replacing the VSS. The problem is still there. My next thought is to replace the speedometer cable or the speedometer gauge in the dash. In doing some price checking on the speedometer cables, I find at least three different ones for the 1989 Ranger. One for trucks with cruise control, and tow for no cruise control at different lengths. My confusion is that the only one that seems to look the same as what is on the truck is the cable with cruise control, yet my truck doesn't have it.

My questions are:

1) What is the most likely culprit knowing that the VSS is brand new and that the gear in the transmission is clean and intact (in fact, I had to replace it at one point to get an accurate speedometer reading). Should I look in to changing the cable, or getting a new panel cluster, or something else?

2) If I should change the speedometer cable, what one do I need? (See truck details below) Considering the transmission that was in the truck when I got it was the older A4LD revision (Hydraulic OD solenoid) and from an Aerostar Van, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the cable in the truck is the wrong one.

Truck Specs:
1989 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Standard cab/long bed
2.3L engine
A4LD transmission that was originally in a '93 Ranger
Without cruise control
Roughly 243k miles on everything but transmission, transmission has roughly 75k miles on it.

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would run the speedo with a drill, directly at the cluster for a bit to see if it is working correctly. If so, then replace the cable.

OtakuN3rd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try as soon as I have another chance to work on it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals