• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squirrel launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
That is absolutely awesome. I WANT TO SEE A VIDEO!

Frank - I'm with ya on the cat thing...

Potatoflinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After what PETA the worlds biggest PITA did whining about obama killing a fly... I don't want to be in your house when the worthless b@st@rds, are camping out front.

I would prefer to see a cat launched, much more worthless creature.

Frank
If my neighbor's cat ever wanders over into my yard, I'll definitely launch it.
PETA members would never camp out in my front yard. I have an arsenal of less than lethal potato cannons that would keep them out.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Last edited:

Potatoflinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have launched a few birds, but they aren't nearly as fun because they just start to fly after they get back to their senses, which is usually before they hit the ground. I don't even try to take videos of birds anymore.

The bands are actually surprisingly strong. Sometimes I disconnect the sling from the rebar and just use it as one of those three person slingshots to launch water balloons or snowballs. I could have the slingshot stretched more than twice as far as what is shown in the pictures, but I leave it stretched all day and I don't want to wear out the bands prematurely.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
tooo funny LOL good one

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If my neighbor's cat ever wanders over into my yard, I'll definitely launch it.
PETA members would never camp out in my front yard. I have an arsenal of less than lethal potato cannons that would keep them out.
LOL, be careful. That's messing with cruelty to animals and I believe potato guns are no longer legal. And least that's what I heard when I had the urge to build another one. Best one I made back in the day utilized a 4" PVC combustion chamber, which narrowed down to a 1.5" barrel. That thing did things.

What do you use for the ignition? The first ignition that we used were 2 screws into the barrel and it worked sort of like a spark plug - we used the insides of electronic lighters to make the spark. Then we upgraded to a lantern lighter with a replaceable flint because the screws would get coated with hair spray and stop arcing. Fun times, we used to buy potatoes by the 50lbs bags. Fuel, we mainly used hair spray, that's what kept us out of trouble (cops couldn't do anything because it wasn't gasoline), but tried pure acetone a few times. :D

Pete

Potatoflinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LOL, be careful. That's messing with cruelty to animals and I believe potato guns are no longer legal. And least that's what I heard when I had the urge to build another one. Best one I made back in the day utilized a 4" PVC combustion chamber, which narrowed down to a 1.5" barrel. That thing did things.

What do you use for the ignition? The first ignition that we used were 2 screws into the barrel and it worked sort of like a spark plug - we used the insides of electronic lighters to make the spark. Then we upgraded to a lantern lighter with a replaceable flint because the screws would get coated with hair spray and stop arcing. Fun times, we used to buy potatoes by the 50lbs bags. Fuel, we mainly used hair spray, that's what kept us out of trouble (cops couldn't do anything because it wasn't gasoline), but tried pure acetone a few times. :D

Pete
Building potato cannons is one of my many hobbies, that's how I came up with the name "potatoflinger".

Spudguns are legal in most places, here is a page about laws regarding potato cannons.

I don't make combustion cannons, I make pneumatic ones. Even with an advanced combustion cannon using metered propane, stun gun ignition, and a chamber fan, you can only create 80ish PSI, but with my pneumatic cannons I use a compressor and a shock pump to put up to 300PSI in the air chamber. I use schedule 40 and 80 galvanized steel to make the air chambers, and for the valve I usually use quick exhaust valves or home made piston valves. I have a pneumatic paintball gun that can hit well over 750 ft/sec with a paintball. If you guys want me to I will make a thread with pictures of some of them. (I have built over 20)

I have plans to make a rather large cannon after I finish paying for my truck, but I'm not sure if I will ever get around to building it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First off, If you don't like the idea of launching squirrels across the yard, you should just click the back button right now.
Instead, I'll just close this thread.

First, it's illegal to feed wild animals. It's also illegal to bait and trap without a license and I'm sure what you are doing is clearly cruel. This would definately get you arrested in my community where they arrest people with thin looking horses all the time. If I were your neighbor I would video tape you and call the Conservation Officer's hotline, then video tape them putting you in the back of their car and post that on You-Tube.

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed. If there is another thread like this created, the creator WILL get a 2 week ban. Cruelty to animals is illegal in all 50 states and TRS will NOT promote nor have discussions of illegal activities on our forums.

Consider this EVERYONE'S warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals