• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Grinding

vdub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This may be the wrong forum but maybe someone can answer this question.

I have an 85 Bronco II 4X 2.8 V6 with a Mitsubishi FM-145 5 speed.

My starter has been grinding since I got the truck. It is not grinding all the time only when its spinning, I have gone through 5 starters since I have gotten the truck. The gears don't seam to be meshing completely. Imagine moving 2 gears away from each other so just the tips of the gears are touching. I have made it better by ovaling out the holes that hold the starter in but its still not right.

I am using a Lester number 3188 starter which is what the truck calls for.

Its hard to explain what its doing, Its like just the tip of the Bendix gear is touching the flywheel. Its fully engaging just not fully meshing. Thats the best I can explain it without drawing a picture.

Has anyone had a problem like this before of know a way to resolve it. I work at a parts store and I am thinking about having a bigger gear put on my starter. but I would rather find an easier way.

Before I got the truck I know the tranny was changed and after the second starter failed I pulled the tranny out to check the flywheel and found it and the clutch where brand new.

Also most people recommended using a shim. I have already tried. the starter doesn't need to go further in or out. It needs to go more side to side if you understand what I mean.

Todd~Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
You sure the flywheels good???? does it have the right fly wheel on it??

vdub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the flywheel is great.

as far as I know its the right flywheel. I don't know of any other flywheel that would even fit a 2.8 that would be wrong.

I am not against changing the flywheel but its a hard job and I don't see how it could be wrong. But I am open to ideas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals