• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting problems and cutting out

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
86 2.9:
My 2.9 recently has been hard to start. It cranks fine and sounds like it always has when you turn the key, but once you let go, it dies. It usually takes between 2 and 4 cranks and then it just decides to work.
The scary part is, on occasion the engine will suddenly cut out. It has happened 3 times, each one the second I hit a big bump or pot hole.
It has absolutely no problems accelerating, idling, or just keeping speed. Only starting and when it hits a large bump.

The starter is new (but that obviously isn't causing the cutting out).
The canister fuel filter is about a year old.

My prediction is a fuel delivery problem, which could be completely wrong. It seems to me like it can't get enough gas when starting, and it may be having the flow interrupted when I take a major bump. If this is the case, I don't know what to look into (fuel pump, filter, injectors, etc.).
Thank you guys so much for any help you can offer.

Nick

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If it dies suddenly the problem is more than likely an electrical connection somewhere. While its running try shaking the wires to try to narrow down the area.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
check the fuel inertia shutoff switch. it is on the floor under the pass. side dash and seems to like to cause problems. check it by jumping the connection but dont leave it as a permanent fix if that works, always fix it right because it is, after all, safety equipment

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, i've checked the inertia switch and much of the electrical. I think I'm going to try the fuel pump relay I read about as a common cause of this problem on another thread.
Question is, there are two relays that look exactly the same next to each other, one with five wires, one with four. Does anyone know which is the fuel pump and what the other is?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Dont remember what the other solenoid is for at the moment. My factory manual says what they are, but I don't have it handy. Unplug one at a time and then turn the key to 'run'...don't crank the engine, and listen for the fuel pump running and pressurizing the system. Whichever one is unplugged when the pump doesn't run during this test is the fuel pump solenoid (relay).

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
did you try pulling codes?

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was messing around under the hood again today. With the engine running, i tapped on the relay I presume to be for the fuel pump. The engine began to sputter and hesitate.
BINGO! ...i thought.
I replaced the relay, which is the dark one, not the green one. Started the engine, and it ran on the first try. I thought I was golden. Went to drive it again tonight, and it took about 3 or 4 tries.
I'm confused as to how replacing the part causing the engine to sputter didn't help the problem.

No, I haven't pulled codes. Don't know how to go about that. Thanks for your help and replies

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Geez, doing 50 on a 6 lane road and hit uneven pavement. Truck died. This is so frustrating. I've been talking to some people and a few think it's electrical, and some fuel. Do parts stores generally pull codes for free?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the relay, which is the dark one, not the green one.
For some reason I recall the fuel pump relay being the green one, and the PCM relay being the brown...

No, I haven't pulled codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford

You will need to follow the volt meter method, as the '86 lacks a CEL.

I had a similar problem, except is was the coil positive wire. It had corrded out, I imagine you might be having the same wiring issues. Say the engine is just idling, running okay, what happens when you drop the hood or shut the passenger door pretty good? To me, it kind of sounds more like it's more electrical than fuel. If you can get the problem to happen again, you might get a fuel pressure tester and see what's happening there to rule that out at least.

Pete

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For some reason I recall the fuel pump relay being the green one, and the PCM relay being the brown...
pretty sure you are right (had similar problmes on mine about a year ago) and im pretty sure the replacement that autozone sells you will work in either situation. pull the new one out and put the original back, then use the new one for the fuel pump and see what you get

also would be a good idea to check fuel pressure...even if you dont have a gauge, see if you have any pressure at all. if the pump isnt working than there wont be any pressure

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Also check the ground connection next to the PCM behind the passenger side kick panel.

a loose ground to EITHER the EEC power relay or the fuel pump relay will cause an identical problem.
Ever REAL ranger enthusiast should have the words "check the grounds first!" tatooed on their forearm

AD

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That very well may be true. The reason I changed out the brown, not the green, is because the brown was the one that, when tapped, stalled the engine. Maybe I should do both of them?

also would be a good idea to check fuel pressure...even if you dont have a gauge, see if you have any pressure at all. if the pump isnt working than there wont be any pressure
Now how to I do this?

Also check the ground connection next to the PCM behind the passenger side kick panel.
Will it just be a black wire bolted to the body? I should know since I've had the kick panel off a dozen times.

Thanks for your replies!

96stroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had the same symptoms as you with it taking 3 - 4 times to start the truck and have it stay running. I fought with this for better than six months! I thought it was because I had a hole in my gas tank(and I'm sure that was part of it) but when I had the tank down the pump in the tank turned out to be bad. After I replaced that($50 at Autozone) the thing runs great. Somehow these trucks can run off just the pump on the frame rail. One way to check the pump in the tank is to have someone turn on the key while you have your ear close to the tank. You should be able to hear the pump kick on for about 2 seconds then shut off. Hope this helps

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same symptoms as you with it taking 3 - 4 times to start the truck and have it stay running. I fought with this for better than six months! I thought it was because I had a hole in my gas tank(and I'm sure that was part of it) but when I had the tank down the pump in the tank turned out to be bad. After I replaced that($50 at Autozone) the thing runs great. Somehow these trucks can run off just the pump on the frame rail. One way to check the pump in the tank is to have someone turn on the key while you have your ear close to the tank. You should be able to hear the pump kick on for about 2 seconds then shut off. Hope this helps
Agreed! another thread also ran to this issue (Starving For Fuel? ) where they thought that the fuel filter was the issue...but ended up with lots of foamy fuel in the injector rail/manifold. hence the pick up pump was bad...(in the tank)

IS your fuel gage screwy??? read pretty normally till 3/4's of a tank then drops off to E quick, then come back up??

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals