• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting the journey

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
I purchased a 1998 B3000 last August, and I must say, I'm impressed with this truck. I have really had a want to do many things with it, but, I'm afraid I might go down the wrong road with my purchases. First off, it has BFG All Terrains already on her, size: 31/10.50, custom audio that I installed, and is in perfect condition. I want to be able to add soo much more to it to make it sort of like a smooth package. I would love to add height to the truck, as I'm not much on lowered vehicles because of how tall I am, and I definitely could use this truck if I got it lookin' much better than it already is since I'm at college working on my electronics degree trying to impress my future employers. I can't say I gotta lot of money to be spending at the moment seeing as I'm doing monthly payments, but still would like to add little by little.

First off, I would like to add a body kit to it so I don't have much of a hard time getting in and out of the truck seeing as the suspension lift is just a tad too much for my wallet. I'm trying to go big here, so the 3 inch is what I would like to give it, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Second, I'm trying to maybe up the performance of the engine, is it really possible to put a V8 in this pickup? I might look into that performance plus later on. I want to try and add exhaust though, I've seen some nice packages from gibson that don't run me too much, and they look pretty good. Should I stick with those? I also have a manual, and I have noticed that the gears always manage to hit quite a few RPMs before I even hit 55 MPH. Is there any way to advance the gears?

Thanks for any advice you guys have, I really would like to add on to this beauty, and I definitely will post pics along the way.

Oh ya, might I remind you that I'm very new to the automotive industry.... I've worked with computers and electronics for a while building to my resume, so try and dumb it down a bit for me? Sorry:) :D

Last edited:

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual

Moose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3 liter V-6
Transmission
Manual
ok. if your looking for an offroad look the body lift is a good way to go. the only perfoance it adds is a smoother ride and the ability to add a v8 down the road. put a 5.5" suspension lift in before the v8. your stock suspension won't like the weight and if you know where to look you could find one for under $1100. as for the exhaust don't mess with it untill you tune your truck to put out more power. A $400 Gibson backcat exhaust will more than likely sound like A glass pack on your truck without any power runnin through them pipes. And finally for the RPMs new rings and pinons is all I will say. you probably have 3:73 which are standard on those years but something I the lower 3s will help improve gas milage but throw away take off power. I don't see why your complaint about mileage. I got 4:10 inthe rear and still get 19 in town and 25 down the highway. Might be the driver and not the truck. I hope this helps.
-Moose

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
ok. if your looking for an offroad look the body lift is a good way to go. the only perfoance it adds is a smoother ride and the ability to add a v8 down the road. put a 5.5" suspension lift in before the v8. your stock suspension won't like the weight and if you know where to look you could find one for under $1100. as for the exhaust don't mess with it untill you tune your truck to put out more power. A $400 Gibson backcat exhaust will more than likely sound like A glass pack on your truck without any power runnin through them pipes. And finally for the RPMs new rings and pinons is all I will say. you probably have 3:73 which are standard on those years but something I the lower 3s will help improve gas milage but throw away take off power. I don't see why your complaint about mileage. I got 4:10 inthe rear and still get 19 in town and 25 down the highway. Might be the driver and not the truck. I hope this helps.
-Moose
I've been told by a few mechanics that body lifts can be a bad thing.... will it cause anything to wear over time? and as for the suspension.. I thought all I could get out of it was 4 inches... how do I go for 5.5? and for that cheap?!?!?! Hm.... How much would adding power to it cost? and I was looking into the Kurtz Kustomz TRUE-REV SPORT INDUCTION KIT ™.... Good idea? I get decent mileage though, I wasn't really talking about that. What is the difference it the ratios for gears mean anyways? I'll sure to ask more when I get back on, I'm limited on time:( Thanks anyways man

Moose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3 liter V-6
Transmission
Manual
inducion is generally a joke. trying to get power out of a 3.0 is pointless . your more than likely not gonna be racing with a mazda. induction might increase between 2hp and 12hp which I gaurntee you will not notice. the idea of gaining hp is for racing. I'm turning my truck into a class 7 prerunner so to get the spped I need a bigger motor. that 3.0 will not do a thing for that kind of racing. rehearing is putting new rings an pinions in the axle in the back. it allows higher top speed or faster take off. bigger numbers (4:10, 4:86 etc etc) means faster take off where as smaller numbers (3:27, 3:73 etc etc) mean more top speed and less take off speed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals