• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stock stereo removal

mud flies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So here i am thinking i'm gonna start my stereo install today only to realize right off the hop that i have no idea how to remove the stock unit. I see 4 holes and i think i need some kind of tool to release it but other than that i have no idea...any help would be appreciated.i already did a search with no results.this is my first install but i have done a lot of reading so i think i'm fairly well prepared for the task.
Anyhow its a 2007 ranger fx 4 level ll.any help out there???

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go to almost ANY parts store and ask for a Ford radio removal tool. Shouldn't be more than 10 bucks unless they are screwing you. It'll look like two metal "U"s. Push one in each side and pull.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you need two little u-shaped metal tools. They fit into the holes and release the clips. You can remove that whole trim piece with the stereo still in it and get to the clips from the rear if you can't get your hands on the tools.

Swing by a car stereo shop and you can probably talk a salesman into loaning or giving you a pair. He might even pull the stereo for you. Also, check the package your new stereo came in, it should have come with clips.

Or just leave it parked at my old apartment complex for a half hour.

mud flies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok cool. thanks for the help and the quick response time.Hope i can return the favour sometime.thanks again

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
theyre called din removal tools. you can look them up online and make your own from a coat hanger. no point in paying for 2 pieces of bent wire when you can make your own

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My time is too valuable to sit and make a 5 dollar tool. You'll be at the store buying the new stereo anyhow.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
shot if I had known and you could of waited a few days I could have mailed ya a set out of the 1/2 dozen or so sets I have floatin around.

I guess I am a day alte and a dollar short :(

mud flies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow lots of helpful replies...this site rocks.I opted for the "remove that whole trim piece with the stereo still in it and get to the clips from the rear if you can't get your hands on the tools." technique and this worked good.I already have the new hu.and it is already in the dash.JVC KD-AVXll.This unit plays dvd as well as cd.The cd part works just fine but i'm having a problem with the dvd part.I think that the video is controlled by a wire called "parking brake lead" and i think this makes it so u can't watch vids while driving.If this assumption is true then can i just connect this wire to the red or yellow wire?Not that i want to watch vids while driving but my passengers may.Once again any and all assistance is appreciated...Thanks

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im not positive by i beleive you can connect it to your remote turn on wire. that is, if your not currently using it. its used to send a signal to either a power attenae or an amplifier, so that the attenae or amp will only turn on when the stereo is on. it should be either blue or blue/white stripe

mud flies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow another quick reply.Thanks pistons.umm yes the remote wire is gonna get used up in the next phase of this build.Tomorow i'm adding my amps.2 mtx 4000 series amps.So the remote wire is out of the question i think.I'm not sure how much stuff you can run off that.Any other suggestions??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals