• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange engine surging issue....4L OHV

Krwlnrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok. so after searching and not really find a good answer to my issues...here is my problem.

97 4L, 5spd...104K...the oil dipstick tube seems to be loose...it moves around, causing a very loud tick tick tick noise that increases depending on the load placed on the engine and decreases according to load. Also, b/c my dipstick tube is not correctly attached, the tab (best description I can think of at the moment) is causing one of my plugs to arc from wire to tab and causing a engine running issue and I also think a power surge type feeling while running. This surge seems most notable in 3rd and 4th at 40ish-55ishmph. I R&R the carrier bearing and that fixed some of my drive line surges, but this is a engine surge issue. Could a dirty MAF sensor cause a surging issue? The noise goes away depending on how tightly I can secure the dip stick...but it needs to be mounted correctly...cant find a good diagram that shows where it mounts and how it should be mounted. Also, this engine seems weak power wise, especially right off idle...sometime it wants to stall out...is this normal for this engine? Truck has been meticulously maintained by PO with all service records and was garaged or covered most of its life judging by paint finish. for a 15 yr old truck, it looks and drives new, except for these issues.

97 supercab 4x4 4.0L 5spd. manual hubs and manual shift transfer case. stock for now.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Typical dipstick installation is a tab with a bolt/bracket, but you can "seat" yours better into the block by tapping it with a mallet.

Your REAL problem is a bad spark plug wire that is arcing on the loose dipstick tube.

Krwlnrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I'll change the plug wires, but where exactly does the oil dipstick tube secure to?
This is my first ranger...really my first ford product other than my wife's 02 focus.
I'm an former Jeep guy...so I'm on a learning curve with this truck and I'm at the botto
Of the curve right now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals